+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Living in Canada while working for US company online - possible?

aroura.r

Oct 25, 2018
Hi! New to the forum here..

My future husband and I are very interested moving to Canada for about a year or two...see how life goes!
We are both US Citizens and we both work online for a US company (paid US currency and paying US taxes).
Few questions:

-Do we need to apply for permanent residency? If we don't apply...do we apply for a visitor visa and leave every 6/mo or so ? We don't have anyone to sponsor us if we applied for residency...so we are trying to see what our options are.

-Can we still work online for the US company and rent out an apartment ?

Thank you all so much!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi! New to the forum here..

My future husband and I are very interested moving to Canada for about a year or two...see how life goes!
We are both US Citizens and we both work online for a US company (paid US currency and paying US taxes).
Few questions:

-Do we need to apply for permanent residency? If we don't apply...do we apply for a visitor visa and leave every 6/mo or so ? We don't have anyone to sponsor us if we applied for residency...so we are trying to see what our options are.

-Can we still work online for the US company and rent out an apartment ?

Thank you all so much!
You cannot live in Canada as visitors. If you try, sooner or later you'll be told to stop or denied re-entry into Canada for abusing visitor privileges.

Yes - you would need to apply for and obtain permanent residency status if you want to live here. You don't need a sponsor to qualify for PR. Recommend you check out the Express Entry program to see if you qualify to apply. Right now you need 440+ points to be selected.