+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Living in Canada While Awaiting Spousal Sponsorship?

RapsFan905

Mar 16, 2017
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi there, my wife and I are currently married, however, she lives in the United States and I live in Canada. We are applying for spousal sponsorship so that she can obtain Canadian Permanent Resident status.

We would like for her to move to Canada and begin living together before the sponsorship application is complete. We understand that Americans are entitled to a 6 month stay (at the custom guard's discretion) in Canada. However, we are worried that the fact that she will be driving with suitcases and other essentials (not to mention in her American vehicle), that it will appear as if she is trying to move to Canada and she will be denied entry.

I have heard mention that we should be clear that she is only 'visiting', however I would love to hear from others who have had a similar experience and what advice they have. Also, are there any documents we need to show for her vehicle when driving into Canada (i.e. proof of insurance coverage, Ontario registration, etc.).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
as you note, her entry is at the discretion of the CBSA officer she meets. If she's given less than 6 mo. at entry, she can simply apply to extend her stay online through IRCC. She will not have issue driving her US plated car across the border when seeking entry as a visitor (or even a PR). There is no paperwork needed for cars, except the obvious proof of US registration and US insurance. it will not be an issue and in my experience they never ask anything more than who owns the vehicle.

On a side note, you mentioned Ontario registration - that will not be possible to do until the car is officially imported to canada. that doesn't need to be done until after she moves to canada permanently, if she chooses to bring the car to canada. The issue most people face when having a us plated car in canada is the US insurance. Once a US insurance company finds out a car is in canada long term, they drop the insurance. when you're there as a visitor, it's usually recommended to no tell your insurance company.

she does not want to have a large amount of items with her when entering as a visitor. that will certainly cause a red flag and investigation into her intentions. it is always best practice to carry proof of ties to the us (apt lease/house mortgage and/or paystubs/work contract) and a copy of your application - whether you're still working on it or have submitted it. paying at least the sponsor fee and carrying the receipt is helpful too.

as you point out, she needs to make it clear she is visiting you. she can not use the terms moving or living until she is approved for pr.

RapsFan905

Mar 16, 2017
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you so much for your detailed response! Our plan is for her to bring a moderate amount of clothing and essentials, and if pressed to our intentions we will say she is staying for a few weeks. One thing we did think was that it might be better to cross at the nearest border and do the drive through Canada - a West Coast car in an Eastern border crossing might be more likely to be asked questions as well, correct?

weilkevin

Mar 28, 2017
This is the exact question I was coming here to ask =)

I wanted to add a follow up though....

If she's given less than 6 mo. at entry, she can simply apply to extend her stay online through IRCC.
Can this be done multiple times throughout the spousal sponsorship application process?

Thanks!

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
weilkevin said:
This is the exact question I was coming here to ask =)

I wanted to add a follow up though....

Can this be done multiple times throughout the spousal sponsorship application process?

Thanks!
Yes. I recommend asking for 12 months and providing evidence of a sponsorship application that has been submitted. It's quite common for CIC to approve these requests.

Good luck!

weilkevin

Mar 28, 2017
Ponga said:
Yes. I recommend asking for 12 months and providing evidence of a sponsorship application that has been submitted. It's quite common for CIC to approve these requests.

Good luck!
Thanks so much =)

TypsyGypsy

Star Member
Apr 6, 2017
I am a US Citizen, married to a Canadian Citizen. I came to Canada to visit my husband for a period of 6 months (max stay),before that expired we filed an extension with a request of a one year stay while we processed our PR....granted. We filed our PR, and I filed out another extension, I just had to include a copy of proof (receipt of PR payment), from the PR application, to include with my new extension. Hope this helps.

RapsFan905

Mar 16, 2017
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi TypsyGypsy (great name) thank you very much for sharing your information!

cwyattbeck

Feb 27, 2017
Im a US citizen that travels back home quit a bit for work. I came as a visitor and before submitting an application for PR was given a "Visitor Record" at the YYC airport from customs. It gave me 1 year to come and go as I please. I have my US vehicle here and they know I can't import it till I get PR status. Just make sure your US car's insurance will cover you while you are in Canada, a lot will not.