+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Living in BC, Canada and going to WA for work - citizenship application

philly2013

Jul 21, 2017
Thank you both for sharing the DPs and your experience! What were the reasons you guys used in the records requests, if you may share? I am wondering if explicitly stating that I am applying for Canadian citizenship and in need of the records might cause any unnecessary doubts / scrutiny. Much appreciate it!
I didn't provide any reason for the request either. It took them 2 months. Here is the full text of the request.
  • Description: I would like to request my entry/exit records from 01/01/2016 till 12/31/2021 under the Freedom of Information Act. I am submitting with this request of my travel documents that cover the requested period. Thank you.

ccaallvviinn

Star Member
Sep 13, 2019
I didn't provide any reason for the request either. It took them 2 months. Here is the full text of the request.
  • Description: I would like to request my entry/exit records from 01/01/2016 till 12/31/2021 under the Freedom of Information Act. I am submitting with this request of my travel documents that cover the requested period. Thank you.
Thank you for all your help and guidance!

pvs21

Sep 9, 2020
ccaallvviinn - I'm considering something similar. Did you find out more information? How's your experience so far?

namtoCanada

Apr 1, 2024
Hi, I am also in the similar situation.

I started coming to Canada every Friday and returning to US every Monday. I started this journey starting March 2024. I rented a place in Canada and I have my own house in US.

My questions:
1.) Can I skip moving my car to Canada? If it's required then I will move my car.
2.) Can I skip getting Canadian Drivers License? If it's required then I will do it.

Do you think me having only Canadian bank account, rental lease, and staying during weekend will qualify me for Canadian citizenship? Looking forward to the inputs so that I can accordingly change my plan if required.

Thanks

missedTheGCBus

Star Member
Sep 8, 2022

I started coming to Canada every Friday and returning to US every Monday. I started this journey starting March 2024. I rented a place in Canada and I have my own house in US.

My questions:
1.) Can I skip moving my car to Canada? If it's required then I will move my car.
2.) Can I skip getting Canadian Drivers License? If it's required then I will do it.

Do you think me having only Canadian bank account, rental lease, and staying during weekend will qualify me for Canadian citizenship? Looking forward to the inputs so that I can accordingly change my plan if required.

Thanks
1. Depends on your luck, eventually a CBSA officer will ask why you don't have BC plates, whether you have imported the vehicle etc.

2. You can probably get away with not having a Canadian license but it is a risk too as official window for swapping license is not much,90 days or something.

How have your border crossings into Canada been so far? Don't they ask you "where is home", question about car plates, purpose of visit etc.
Curious to know how its going as I would like to try this in the future

ccaallvviinn

Star Member
Sep 13, 2019

My questions:

Thanks
In my experience, I had to import the car from the US to Canada for the BC plate and thus switch to the BC drivers license too.

namtoCanada

Apr 1, 2024
Over the past month, a Canadian officer mentioned to me that if I stay in Canada more than US, I'll need to transfer my car's registration. However, since I still have a substantial amount left to pay on the car, my only real options are either selling it in the US or continuing to use it with US plates. Not sure how long they will allow me.

More importantly, do you think me having only Canadian bank account, rental lease, and completing 1095 days by staying during weekend, holidays, summer will qualify me for Canadian citizenship?

1. Depends on your luck, eventually a CBSA officer will ask why you don't have BC plates, whether you have imported the vehicle etc.

2. You can probably get away with not having a Canadian license but it is a risk too as official window for swapping license is not much,90 days or something.

How have your border crossings into Canada been so far? Don't they ask you "where is home", question about car plates, purpose of visit etc.
Curious to know how its going as I would like to try this in the future