+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Living abroad, can I still apply for my partner's sponsorship?

JadeC

Mar 16, 2018
Hello there,

I need help please !

I am Canadian (born and raised in province of Quebec). I am currently living in Barcelona with my partner who is Spanish. We are looking to come back to Canada together but I am not sure if I can sponsor him since I am living abroad. It seems that sponsorship requires the sponsor to give proof of Canadian income within the last year (when doing the application) which I don't have since I study and work in Spain at the moment.
I cannot find information on whether or not we can apply for sponsorship while we are both living in Barcelona (since we would ideally come back to Canada together, once he is accepted as a resident).

My question is: Can I make a demand for sponsorship for my common-law spouse while living and working outside of Canada?

Thank you so much!!

Jade

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
Hello there,

I need help please !

I am Canadian (born and raised in province of Quebec). I am currently living in Barcelona with my partner who is Spanish. We are looking to come back to Canada together but I am not sure if I can sponsor him since I am living abroad. It seems that sponsorship requires the sponsor to give proof of Canadian income within the last year (when doing the application) which I don't have since I study and work in Spain at the moment.
I cannot find information on whether or not we can apply for sponsorship while we are both living in Barcelona (since we would ideally come back to Canada together, once he is accepted as a resident).

My question is: Can I make a demand for sponsorship for my common-law spouse while living and working outside of Canada?

Thank you so much!!

Jade
Yes of course you can. It is called 'outland sponsorship' and is perfectly normal and very common indeed (I did it for my British wife).

Just provide them with any Spanish proof of earnings you may have (I sent them my UK annual P60).

There are of course specific additional requirements to prove common law etc. but no different inland vs outland.

wagggal

Star Member
Dec 29, 2017
Yes of course you can. It is called 'outland sponsorship' and is perfectly normal and very common indeed (I did it for my British wife).

Just provide them with any Spanish proof of earnings you may have (I sent them my UK annual P60).

There are of course specific additional requirements to prove common law etc. but no different inland vs outland.
You will still need the most recent Option C printout from CRA, even if you had no income in Canada.

I live in Jamaica with my spouse and applied outland from here for him and had to submit option C. Easy to get as you just go to your CRA account and print it out.

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
You will still need the most recent Option C printout from CRA, even if you had no income in Canada.

I live in Jamaica with my spouse and applied outland from here for him and had to submit option C. Easy to get as you just go to your CRA account and print it out.
I didn't have a CRA account (as not lived in Canada as an adult). Mine went through fine without (not sure if this is something new in the last 18 months??).

wagggal

Star Member
Dec 29, 2017
I didn't have a CRA account (as not lived in Canada as an adult). Mine went through fine without (not sure if this is something new in the last 18 months??).
Might be something new, but I know it had to be included in the application.

evdm

Jun 16, 2017
You will also need to show evidence that you intend to return to Canada, so email messages with a realtor, bank accounts if you have any, correspondence with family showing intent to move back, etc.

wagggal

Star Member
Dec 29, 2017
You will also need to show evidence that you intend to return to Canada, so email messages with a realtor, bank accounts if you have any, correspondence with family showing intent to move back, etc.
Job search printed from internet, health insurance quotes to cover the first three months before provincial health care takes effect ( Ontario), if moving items quotes for moving them, I also included quotes from airlines to move my pets with me also.

Arctic Circle

Dec 16, 2017

Did IRCC specifically ask you for Option C? I'm just looking at the checklist now and it's only listed if you are working in Canada, you need to provide Option C. If you check the box that you are working outside of Canada, it's just the usual proof of intent to return etc.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Might be something new, but I know it had to be included in the application.
You did not need to include an Option C or NOA if you are not in Canada. As stated on the checklist, you include a letter of explanation instead.

Reactions: wagggal

wagggal

Star Member
Dec 29, 2017
You did not need to include an Option C or NOA if you are not in Canada. As stated on the checklist, you include a letter of explanation instead.
You know, that is correct. I have not " worked " in Canada for 7 years, BUT I do collect income ( a pension ) and that is why the Option C was included.