+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

live-in caregiver

janro1026

Feb 1, 2010
job_seeker said:
Another member posted this agency's name: abcnannies.ca Try applying through them. I was informed they don't charge any fees from a caregiver.

Note though that as a nurse you can only apply for elderly care. But once you are in Canada, you can change employers and work with kids if that is your preference. You may have a less chances at landing work with nursing homes since there is no "lack" of carers in Canada.
thanks for the reply jobseeker. so there is no nursing home in canada that i can apply?so its better to apply as a nanny rather than a caregiver?thanks again

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you are a nurse, you can go to Canada to work as a nurse. There is a shortage of nurses. You will have to take some tests to get licensed to work in Canada as a nurse but you would make good money and have all kind of options to immigrate.

If you are not a nurse, say you took a short course and/or have experience in taking care of the elderly, it would not be a good idea for you to get a job at a nursing home because you would likely be considered a low skilled worker and would have few options to immigrate, that is if you even get a work permit because to get a work permit, the nursing home has to show that nobody else wants to work for them.

There is one immigration program called the live-in caregiver program. This program recognizes a shortage in Canada of live-in caregivers, both nannies and caregivers for the disabled and elderly. The program lets you apply for your immigration after you work as a live-in caregiver for 2 years so if you are not a nurse, that is the program you would want to be in.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
janro1026 said:
thanks for the reply jobseeker. so there is no nursing home in canada that i can apply?so its better to apply as a nanny rather than a caregiver?thanks again
What is important is to be able to get into the Live in Caregiver Program. You can either be a live in nanny or live in caregiver for elderly or disabled. Getting to work with nursing homes would be a bit difficult for a foreign worker to get in because the employer (nursing home) would have to show proof that there is no Canadian citizen or permanent resident qualified to take the job. Your choice as to whether you want to work with kids or to work with an elderly.

janro1026

Feb 1, 2010
so its better to get in the live in caregiver program?is it easy to find an employer in live in caregiver program?thanks again job seeker for your time... :D

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can look online for job ads but it's probably easier to go through an agency.

IDO

Feb 14, 2010
Hi all,

Does anyone know how much money is required as proof of funds when applying for live in caregiver visa? I find it strange that the application instructions include showing proof of funds, even though one is applying for a job that they have already accepted.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you were starting a regular job, I suppose they could ask you to have at least your first months rent and last months or damage deposit and enough money to survive until you start getting paid but a live-in caregiver is living in the employers home and room and board is being taken off their wages so I find it strange if they are supposed to show funds.

IDO

Feb 14, 2010
Thanks for your answer Leon. I too wonder why, and why they are not specific about how much.
Does anyone else have experience with this? Any caregiver applicants?

Thanks

andi

Mar 8, 2010
Hi there

Over the years many agencies across Canada have been charging nanny extremely high fees to find them employment in Canada. These nannies are charged $3000-$10,000 to have an agency simply match them up with a family in Canada. Sometimes there is no job when they arrive in Canada.
As of April 1 2010 the Government of Canada is implimenting new regulations that will stop this unethical (and in many cases illegal) practice
These agencies are illegally charging nannies money to come to Canada. If the CIC office in the location the nanny is coming from discovers they have paid a fee to an agency there is a good chance this nanny's paperwork will not be approved

Check out this site-they do not charge fees and have been in business for 20 years

Optimum Childcare and Nannies

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
IDO said:
Thanks for your answer Leon. I too wonder why, and why they are not specific about how much.
Does anyone else have experience with this? Any caregiver applicants?

Thanks
Hi,

Your inbox is full. All the best on your application.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
andi said:
Hi there

Over the years many agencies across Canada have been charging nanny extremely high fees to find them employment in Canada. These nannies are charged $3000-$10,000 to have an agency simply match them up with a family in Canada. Sometimes there is no job when they arrive in Canada.
As of April 1 2010 the Government of Canada is implimenting new regulations that will stop this unethical (and in many cases illegal) practice
These agencies are illegally charging nannies money to come to Canada. If the CIC office in the location the nanny is coming from discovers they have paid a fee to an agency there is a good chance this nanny's paperwork will not be approved

Check out this site-they do not charge fees and have been in business for 20 years

Optimum Childcare and Nannies
Hi,

Why are you posting contradictory information? "Free or Fee?"

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/need-someone-who-has-experience-of-process-living-in-caregiver-t36142.0.html

The process is very detailed and involves three government agencies

It is very detailed and if you make one mistake they will not process the paperwork.

There is an agency that you can pay to do it. Go to

Optimum Childcare and Nannies on google

kitt1517

Star Member
Mar 14, 2010
Hi there, I'm a live in caregiver who live in Toronto. I will complete the second year in next 7 months. Now I started to garther documents and complete to application forms so I found a lot of problem while I try to fulfill the form I mean the IMM5002 form because my English skill is not good enough to understand. My questions are ;

1. I have spouse in my country. Do we have to fill the IMM5002 form in the same or separate form? If we have to fill in the separate form can I fulfill for him and If I did that do I have to use the repesentative form?

2. I'm wondering about who can I include in the application form? It's sure that we can include spouse and dependent child but I'm not sure about parents and siblings can I list their name in the form to apply PR in the same time with me?

3. In IMM5002 at part B; my family members in Canada...only myself that live in Canada so do I have to fill in that part or write N/A ?

This forum is very helpful. God bless.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. The instructions in the checklist at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/imm5282e.pdf show that your spouse should only fill out the IMM5002 if he is in Canada.

2. In your application form at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5002E.pdf you should include in section C your spouse and dependent child who are not in Canada. You will name your parents only in the Schedule 1 part of this form. You can not apply for PR for your parents and siblings. You can sponsor your parents later after you have your own PR and if you can show that you have enough income to support them financially as well as your own family. If your siblings are young and still dependent on your parents, you can sponsor them at the same time as your parents but if they are older, you may not be able to sponsor them unless you live in certain provinces where the provincal nominee program has a family stream component.

3. In part B, family members in Canada, if you don't have any, write N/A and then proceed to part C where you enter your spouse and dependent children.