Live-In Caregiver Application Denied

lisow

May 27, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept. 12, 2011
I'm from Canada, with my Fiancée from Buenos Aires, Argentina. After being apart for 2 years now after meeting during University in Canada, we ran into some luck with my new work, where my Manager and his wife were looking to hire her as a Live-In Caregiver for 2 years, which would have been amazing for us. We went through all the proper channels, got the Positive LMO, had an Immigration Consultant helping us through the process, showed that she had 3 years of paid work experience teaching young children English in Buenos Aires, and applied feeling pretty confident.

She went in today for a scheduled interview after applying 2 weeks ago, and instead of the interview, got handed a couple of sheets of paper stating that she was denied her Live-In Caregiver application. The grounds of the decision was vague, simply suggesting with a check-mark on a 'refusal template' sheet of paper, that she didn't meet the requirements for experience.

Her experience/qualifications:
- 2 four-year University degrees in English/Spanish Translation and Linguistics
- Taught at 4 private schools in Buenos Aires, teaching English to children of all ages, but most notably children around the age of 6-7
- Recent Red Cross First Aid certificate and International Drivers License

We can't understand this refusal, and don't know where to go from here... Would anyone have any insight as to why this happened, or what we could we do? Are appeals allowed? It mentioned in the refusal letter that her case was closed..

Cindy2010

Mar 17, 2010
This happened to me too. Did you show all valid records of employment for these 2 years she was teaching? They need pay stubs or proof that she had a valid teaching job where she was teaching young children. You also need references from past jobs. Volunteer work or working as part of a program for experience is not acceptable.

lisow

May 27, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept. 12, 2011
Yes, she had all the the records of employment for the past 3 years from the different schools, as well as references from all of them, stating that she had been an English teacher for small children. And it was all paid work at the institutions, so we have no idea why it was unacceptable..

Did you have any luck in the end getting your work permit?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

lisow said:
I'm from Canada, with my Fiancée from Buenos Aires, Argentina. After being apart for 2 years now after meeting during University in Canada, we ran into some luck with my new work, where my Manager and his wife were looking to hire her as a Live-In Caregiver for 2 years, which would have been amazing for us. We went through all the proper channels, got the Positive LMO, had an Immigration Consultant helping us through the process, showed that she had 3 years of paid work experience teaching young children English in Buenos Aires, and applied feeling pretty confident.

She went in today for a scheduled interview after applying 2 weeks ago, and instead of the interview, got handed a couple of sheets of paper stating that she was denied her Live-In Caregiver application. The grounds of the decision was vague, simply suggesting with a check-mark on a 'refusal template' sheet of paper, that she didn't meet the requirements for experience.

Her experience/qualifications:
- 2 four-year University degrees in English/Spanish Translation and Linguistics
- Taught at 4 private schools in Buenos Aires, teaching English to children of all ages, but most notably children around the age of 6-7
- Recent Red Cross First Aid certificate and International Drivers License

We can't understand this refusal, and don't know where to go from here... Would anyone have any insight as to why this happened, or what we could we do? Are appeals allowed? It mentioned in the refusal letter that her case was closed..
She was working as a school teacher, not a caregiver.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What PMM said. The requirements for a live-in caregiver can be found here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/caregiver/apply-who.asp where they say that the experience required is:
At least six months’ training or at least one year of full-time paid work experience as a caregiver or in a related field or occupation (including six months with one employer) in the past three years
However, experience of countless applicants has shown that they do not consider teaching to be a related field of occupation. They do usually approve nurses though.

What she could do is 6 months of training and then apply again.

lisow

May 27, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept. 12, 2011
From the "OP 14 - Processing Applicants for the Live-In Caregiver Program" PDF (cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op14-eng.pdf), it is stated that (pg.6):

"Work experience must be in a field or occupation related to the employment sought. For example,
prospective live-in caregivers may have experience in early childhood education, geriatric care,
paediatric or geriatric nursing"

and since 'Early Childhood Education' is described as being education of children from birth to 8 years old, we figured she would fall within that category. That's where we were confused on the rejection of her appliation

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, I completely understand that as I would also have thought that a teacher of young children would be approved but apparently immigration sees it differently. Other teachers have also been refused.

lisow

May 27, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept. 12, 2011
Ah that's too bad.. seems their guidelines should be more explicit about what constitutes Early Childhood Education.

Thanks for the responses though. And I'm thinking about calling up the Embassy soon to see if they can fill in a few of the details as well. If I find out anything more about her Visa Denial, I'll post it for others thinking of going this route...

Also, would there be any point in applying to get her a regular work-permit (not as a Live-In Caregiver), but still as a Nanny/Private Teacher for the kids?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, it is worth a try to go for a different kind of work permit. He still has to advertise again to get another LMO, has to pay market wage for that type of job etc.

Jan 1, 2011
Hey guys, I am an indian student.
I had applied for a canadian visitor visa at Chandigarh visa centre on 12th Oct 2010 but after 2 months after formalities like medical was done i was told by the embassy to change my visa category to work permit. So i re-applied on 16th Dec 2010. So just wanted to know that will my visa come on time as i have my internship date starting on 20th jan. Also i have got my flight booked for 18th jan.
Also i have got a mail from the embassy that i would not need another medical.

binangkal

Jan 1, 2011
Hi everyone!
I just wanted to ask a few questions..hope u can help.
I want to apply as a live in caregiver for canada..Im a registered nurse from the Philippines.
I was wondering if my 1 yr experience as a volunteer nurse would be considered..?!
tnx!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nurses are usually accepted for the live-in caregiver program.

A G

Sep 2, 2010
Leon,

How is the market with respect to Nurse occupation? I know of a case where provintial nomination was refused even when there was a offer letter.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
According to immigration, there is still a shortage of nurses and LPN's in Canada. According to somebody who recently posted here about being an LPN and having landed in BC, there are not many jobs for LPN's in BC but all the more of them in AB where she ended up going.

If a PNP application was refused, you would have to know the details before you can say it was denied just because the person was a nurse. Maybe there was another reason.

thanuxxi

Jan 5, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-10-2015
Doc's Request.
23-11-2015
AOR Received.
28-10-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
can I apply to the LCP as a physiotherapist ?