+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Live-in Caregiver: after applying for PR

Basya

Oct 17, 2009
This is what I got from immigration lawyer:

You can apply to change LIC employers and this would probably be granted. You can always apply to make other changes such as live out caregiver that they may grant, or another job but they may not grant the work permit.

This is the answer from Paralegal at WCDWA (West Coast Domestic Workers Association) :

To answer your questions, it is not a requirement that you be employed for the entire time that your permanent residence application is being processed. In fact, you could still submit a PR application while unemployed, as long as you have maintained your status (i.e. a valid LCP work permit) in Canada. However, until you receive your open work permit, the only kind of work you are authorized to do is working as a full-time, live-in caregiver for an employer for whom you have a valid work permit. You can change employers, but it still needs to be full-time live-in caregiver work. After you receive your open work permit you can work live-out, or in a different field, but only after you receive your open work permit. Anything else would be considered unauthorized work and could seriously jeopardize your status and your applications.

Good luck!

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Binoo said:
Hi Ella,

I also in a same situation like you. Three weeks before I sent my PR application along with OWP application. My employer likes to keep me untill i get OWP but I don't like to satay. They are not paying and treating me but they shows CRA the right amount. It is very hard to work with them cause i have to care my family in backhome. As I know do not try to leave until you get your PR. Pls. keep in touch with me.[/color]
Don't they give you a check or payslip?

sweety80

Jan 17, 2010
Live-in Caregiver: after applying for PR

Hi,
I sent my PR+open workpermit application on january first week under the living caregiver category. the cic web site says it gets 6 months for the first stage approval. I am single applicant,and I sent all police clearance reports and all the necessary documents,. I wonder what they going to do in second stage, do they send my file to my home conutry office whether I am single applicant? how long normaly takes second satge for the PR? this forum is really helpfull, thanks

B

Binoo

Hi Leon,

I am in the process of Live in caregiver Program and above application kit (IMM0008(Generic) recived by my husband, who is outside Canada form the Canadian High Commission. As you know I am the principle applicant of PR application and now in this form, it is asking spouse's detals too. So I need to know, my husband needs to be the main applicant in this form and myself should be the spouse there?

Pls. kindly reply me.

Thanks & regards
Binoo

libra girl

Star Member
Jun 29, 2010
Basya said:
Theoretically i think we can try to find another job, but it would probably be hard to get LMO and another work permit (while waiting for an OWP). LMO might take same 6-8 months to issue. Vacation or unemployment could be an option. But you have to be very careful. I contacted immigration consultant and she said there re lots of refusals on PR applications from Live-in caregivers. It is wise to stay employed and do not leave the country until the decision is made. But I understand you completely, even 1 extra day as live-in is hard enough never mention extra 7 months. I think Leon is right, we have to contact immigration lawyer. They might give a good advice. I was at newcomers/TFW office, their answer was: be patient and wait, continue to work as live-in:(
Another advice to you. You still have time till December. get your application kit completed including police certificates from each country where you lived since 16 and Option C Printout from CRA. Sometimes it takes time for them to issue and to be delivered by mail. Do not waste time, it is precious.
Lots of luck to you and your fiance!

Hi Basya,

can u pls give me great advice..after sending my application for open work permit and permanent resident my employer laid me off from work..now im unemployed..what will happen to my application then can it affect the proccessing?thanks

lai1279

Star Member
Oct 29, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
owp-pr application sent-11-21-09(LC1)
That is correct!!if you are reffering to additional family details..but on LC2 they are spouse and children.

Binoo said:
Hi Leon,

I am in the process of Live in caregiver Program and above application kit (IMM0008(Generic) recived by my husband, who is outside Canada form the Canadian High Commission. As you know I am the principle applicant of PR application and now in this form, it is asking spouse's detals too. So I need to know, my husband needs to be the main applicant in this form and myself should be the spouse there?

Pls. kindly reply me.

Thanks & regards
Binoo

clairelyza

Star Member
Feb 14, 2011
Live-in Caregiver: Applying OWP/Pr

I am a nanny and about to complete my 24 months,want to know how can i apply for OPW and PR at the same time,and i know my case are so complicated cuz i have 2 kids with diffrent father,married for the first one and got separated for 8 yrs and for the second father not married and also separated, i know when i include my kids on my application their father's consent needed, i dont even know where the first father is i don't know what to do about this, my application here was married although i've been separated for so many years but when i change my employer and got my new permit i checked separated for the marital status is there any conflict for this, i know i do have lots of problems when submitting my papers and lots of requirements to submit. Hope somebody will help me thanks in advance.cheers!

wins26

Feb 15, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
guys i would like to ask, if your aplication in OWP and PR are in process and your workpermit is already expired, what happend? because i have friend of mind (LIVE IN CAREGIVER), release last october then until now he doest have work and his workpermit expired too, he didnt apply for extention or even finding job, and now he doest have any valid docs ( LCP work permit )to stay here in canada right ? or its ok to stay w/o a work permit or bridge extention or job? and his application will affect because of this? thnx guys

thnx in advance guys :'( :-[ :'(

aridoarikato

Star Member
Feb 2, 2011
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
LC1-April 2011; LC2 - Aug 2013
AOR Received.
April 9, 2014
Med's Request
April 9, 2014
Med's Done....
May 29, 2014: Reassessment of medical -June 26, 2015
Interview........
Aug. 25, 2015
Passport Req..
Aug. 11, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Oct. 5, 2015 (delivered 10/24/15) valid up to 04/10/16
LANDED..........
LC1 -Aug.25, 2015; LC2 - Dec. 22, 2015
I'm on the same boat... I'm done with the 24-month live-in caregiver program and currently unemployed. I have to leave my work cause my employer is sponsoring another relative. I got married a few months ago and I just moved-in with my husband who is supporting me right now until I get all my paperworks done. With the prevailing processing time of 15 months, I don't think I can still continue working for that long, away from my husband. The thing is we don't have a choice - thats the only job we can do as of the moment. I did try looking for a new employer but most of the prospective employers were a bit concerned about the time that I can commit to them considering that I'm already done with the program. I hope they would see the predicaments we have and maybe work on a shorter time for granting an OWP so that we could at least get on a better job. Oh well just wishful thinking ;D

ennaesor

Star Member
Aug 31, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello ladies, I just wanna share my conversation with a cic agent, I told her that my WP expires on September 2011, but I just submitted my PR + OWP application last December 2010, And I asked her, IF I don't have the OWP by September, do I have to apply for a new WP? She told me, If my employer still wants me to work for them, I can apply for an extension or I can stay unemployed while waiting for my OWP. Because of the 11 months processing time, it means that I could be unemployed for at least 2 months. Hope this helps. God bless us all!

bbggliz

Star Member
Oct 16, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ennaesor said:
Hello ladies, I just wanna share my conversation with a cic agent, I told her that my WP expires on September 2011, but I just submitted my PR + OWP application last December 2010, And I asked her, IF I don't have the OWP by September, do I have to apply for a new WP? She told me, If my employer still wants me to work for them, I can apply for an extension or I can stay unemployed while waiting for my OWP. Because of the 11 months processing time, it means that I could be unemployed for at least 2 months. Hope this helps. God bless us all!
Really?. When I called they said something different. I asked what should I do if my WP expires and haven't get my OWP. She answered and said "you can stay in Canada until you get an answer from us or your OWP, you can still worked for the same employer even though your WP is expired" :( So confusing! So I've been waiting for 10 months and just praying that I get my OWP soon. I didn't mention the officer that I finished work last summer. so I am also jobless. :(

lyne

Star Member
Nov 7, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
LC1 19-apr-2010
AOR Received.
LC2 27-mar-2011
Med's Done....
LC2 8-sep-2012
Passport Req..
LC2 22-jan-13
VISA ISSUED...
LC2 27-july-13(landed)
LANDED..........
March 20,2013
the processing to get our owp 14-15 months..so frustrating..

riaivy1980

Jun 2, 2010
hi! after a year of reading this forum, i am finally gathering my documents for an OWP and PR. I just want to ask about one requirement in the checklist, # 15. Statement of earnings showing hours worked and deductions made by the employers. The one that i'm receiving from my employers are the payroll deductions online calculator without the hours stated in it. Is this the same thing? or they'll be supplying me a real statement of earnings? I'm applying for option 2. Thanks in advance! ???

wsongco

Nov 7, 2010
montreal
Visa Office......
CPC VERGREVILLE
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-11-2010
Interview........
24-04-2013 CAQ
LANDED..........
29-08-2013
@ riaivy you shoud ask for real statement of earnings showing hours worked and deductions. do you have one employer?