+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Little Help on Visitor Extension

LadyMai

Dec 11, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
"Digital Photo"

It doesn't really say how many or how to have it done. Can I just send them photos I already have? They're plastered all over the internet because I'm a streamer.

"Letter of Explanation"

Is this something we should do, or would it get us rejected? I'm a US citizen, he's Canadian, I've been living here for a few months on a Visitor visa, and I'm applying for a 7 month extension so we can file for common law in December. From there I would start an Outland PR application and continue to extend my Visitor visa while we wait. We're doing Outland however because I'm American and if one of the extensions doesn't go through, I could just live in the US for a few months until the PR application is finished.

How do we do this?

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
LadyMai said:
"Digital Photo"

It doesn't really say how many or how to have it done. Can I just send them photos I already have? They're plastered all over the internet because I'm a streamer.
There are specific photo instructions. Please follow them.

LadyMai said:
"Letter of Explanation"

Is this something we should do, or would it get us rejected? I'm a US citizen, he's Canadian, I've been living here for a few months on a Visitor visa, and I'm applying for a 7 month extension so we can file for common law in December. From there I would start an Outland PR application and continue to extend my Visitor visa while we wait. We're doing Outland however because I'm American and if one of the extensions doesn't go through, I could just live in the US for a few months until the PR application is finished.

How do we do this?
If it is not under "optional documentation" then it is required. A letter of explanation helps you establish intent and need for an extension.

tweetbr24

Star Member
Oct 2, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have sent in my extension request, however I have never seen a letter of explanation while filing out my request. Is this something asked when its done online vs by paper? Any idea

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
tweetbr24 said:
Is this something asked when its done online vs by paper? Any idea
Yes

LadyMai

Dec 11, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Jalex23 said:
There are specific photo instructions. Please follow them.

If it is not under "optional documentation" then it is required. A letter of explanation helps you establish intent and need for an extension.
How do I follow them? They're in gibberish. Do I just take them and show them to...I dunno, someone?! Or do I take them myself?! Or have someone take them for me, like my boyfriend? I know nothing about photographs and these are not being printed out. This is an online application.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
LadyMai said:
How do I follow them? They're in gibberish. Do I just take them and show them to...I dunno, someone?! Or do I take them myself?! Or have someone take them for me, like my boyfriend? I know nothing about photographs and these are not being printed out. This is an online application.
If you think the instructions are gibberish, best to have someone else take the photo and interpret the instructions for you. If you take it to a professional photographer, they'll know what to do. You can scan the photo or if the photographer allows it, they'll give you the file to upload.

In my case, I just had my sibling take my picture on an iPhone and I used an image editing application to follow the photo specifications. If your boyfriend can do that for you, great.

TracyCa64

Aug 28, 2014
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2, 2015
Doc's Request.
Form IMM5409 requested Feb 20, 2016
AOR Received.
Nov 25, 2015
File Transfer...
SA- Dec 10, 2015 ** DM- March 14, 2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Sept 9, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
COPR Rec'd March 18, 2016
LANDED..........
April 16, 2016
LadyMai said:
"Digital Photo"

"Letter of Explanation"

How do we do this?
Go to a photo place that takes passport type photos. I had mine done at Shoppers Drug. Just look for a place in your area that takes passport photos. Bring in the photo specifications from the guide on CIC website and they will know what to do. Then take them home and scan to submit with your application if you are doing it online. If you are doing it online you only need to scan the photo and send one copy.

Letter of explanation is not required, but it's always good to include it. It's just a summary of your relationship and the reason why you are requesting the extension. I included one each time with my extensions.
Just type it up and then upload it to the application.

Hope this helps!!

TracyCa64

Aug 28, 2014
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2, 2015
Doc's Request.
Form IMM5409 requested Feb 20, 2016
AOR Received.
Nov 25, 2015
File Transfer...
SA- Dec 10, 2015 ** DM- March 14, 2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Sept 9, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
COPR Rec'd March 18, 2016
LANDED..........
April 16, 2016
tweetbr24 said:
I have sent in my extension request, however I have never seen a letter of explanation while filing out my request. Is this something asked when its done online vs by paper? Any idea
I know for sure it is an option when submitting online. I am not sure about sending in a paper application.