+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

little concerned if im allowed

mmmm

Mar 10, 2008
hi, thanx for reading this.

I'm just wondering if my common-law partner is allowed to sponsor me. she is currently in university and have Quebec student loan. she doesn't meet the minimum required income. but i read a couple of places on net that she is not required to....

also, she might plan in future to go study abroad for a semester(4months). are we allowed to leave canada after i receive PR? I read somewhere we are not allowed for three years??..im not sure.

I really appreciate any help and input!

thank you!!

Can_Zim

Mar 3, 2008
hi there,

in order for your girlfriend to sponsor you as a common law, you have to have lived together for 12 months and she unfortunately has to meet the financial requirements set by CIC. if you are married, this financial requirement, for whatever reason (there probably isn't any logical reason), is waived.

i'm not sure about the actual number of days, but in order to maintain your PR, you have to remain in Canada for a certain number of days per year. you can find that number on the www.cic.gc.ca website.

good luck and be patient!

mmmm

Mar 10, 2008
Hi, Can_Zim! thanx for reply.

But I just read this.

A Sponsor must demonstrate a level of income that meets the minimum necessary income or low-income cutoff (LICO) for a given family size, as established by Statistics Canada. The Sponsor is freed from this requirement if:

* The individual requiring sponsorship is the spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner of the Canadian Sponsor; or
* The individual requiring sponsorship is the dependent child of the Canadian Sponsor." (from http://www.canadavisa.com/immigration-financial-ability.html)

im her common-law partner that means the sponsor is freed from this requirement?

or this is just for people apply for federal. and not for quebec?

thank you!!!

Can_Zim

Mar 3, 2008
hi-

hmmmm. i'm not sure. you had better check the CIC site or ask some more people on this forum. i'm still pretty sure you need to be married in order for the $ requirement to be waived....or it could be different for Quebec.

sorry i can't be of more help! : )

all the best!

rgvinson777

Dec 12, 2007
The law requires that as a PR, you must remain and live in Canada for two of the first 5 years. Otherwise, you may lose your PR status.