+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Limit of Responsibility - Study/ Open Work

nedvert

Star Member
Jan 23, 2013
Just doing some research and getting some advice on a few things.

Some family wants to stay with us for a few months and they will apply for a student visa and an open work permit (2 adults, 2 kids.)

We don't mind giving them a place to stay but they will apply on their own and I can provide proof of address and a letter indicating the limit of our help to providing a home for up to around 6 months.

What was a bit weird was my wife was contacted by the agency rep (another family member) asking for personal details, t4, NOA, ID, work pay slips, and we are not comfortable giving that despite being told it would be only used for "proof that we can provide a residence"

I have been informed it's not shady but was wondering since when I check online, it seems like they will only base the application on those coming, versus anything to do with them staying with us? If we entertain them, is there anyway we could legally or financially be "on the hook" for anyone in this particular scenario?

I don't want to be rude/mean, but also don't want to cause issues for us as all we want to do is offer them a place to stay, not be liable for them at all.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020

Some family wants to stay with us for a few months and they will apply for a student visa and an open work permit (2 adults, 2 kids.)

We don't mind giving them a place to stay but they will apply on their own and I can provide proof of address and a letter indicating the limit of our help to providing a home for up to around 6 months.

What was a bit weird was my wife was contacted by the agency rep (another family member) asking for personal details, t4, NOA, ID, work pay slips, and we are not comfortable giving that despite being told it would be only used for "proof that we can provide a residence"

I have been informed it's not shady but was wondering since when I check online, it seems like they will only base the application on those coming, versus anything to do with them staying with us? If we entertain them, is there anyway we could legally or financially be "on the hook" for anyone in this particular scenario?

I don't want to be rude/mean, but also don't want to cause issues for us as all we want to do is offer them a place to stay, not be liable for them at all.
Don’t give any of that information. Family members must show they can afford to study, live and work in Canada.

Reactions: Fizhér and nedvert

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Are you aware that if they remain it could cause future concern about anyone else you invite? Even if they will be staying with you theyneed to show that they are capable of covering their costs because there are casesof family breakdown. It is more difficult to get approved for a study permit while in Canada especially with your whole family n Canada than applying from abroad. Much harder to show you have strong ties to your how country when you are no longer living there. If they want the best chance at getting a study permit they should apply from their home country. Processing will take a long time so it also makes sense to remain at home and continue working. One exception is if you are a U.S. citizen.