+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Life insurance policy

KAS9

Mar 17, 2017
Hello,

My husband and I currently live in the USA. I am Canadian and live here on a student visa. My husband and I are applying for him to get permanent residency status as a spouse (he is american). On the document checklist, it states:

Provide at least 2 of the following (check which items you are providing):

Important documents for you and your spouse showing that you are recognized as each other's spouse (such as employment or insurance benefits)

Documentary evidence of financial support between you and your sponsor, and/or shared expenses.

Other proof that your relationship is recognized by your friends and/or family (e.g. Letters from friends/family, social media information showing a public relationship, etc.).

I do not work as I am on a student visa in the states which does not permit me to work. My husband does not receive insurance benefits through his work. We were thinking of taking out a life insurance policy to fulfill the "important documents" requirement. my question is, would it be better for me (the Canadian) to take out the policy, and have him listed as the beneficiary? or vice versa? Should both of us have life insurance policies with the other listed as the beneficiary? Does it matter if we use an american company instead of a canadian one? Thanks!!

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
It doesn’t matter who takes out the policy, but if it were me, i would take it out based on where you plan on living... so if you plan to move to Canada when he gets approved, take out a Canadian policy.

KAS9

Mar 17, 2017
It doesn’t matter who takes out the policy, but if it were me, i would take it out based on where you plan on living... so if you plan to move to Canada when he gets approved, take out a Canadian policy.
Thanks for the input. Is it possible for us to take out a Canadian life insurance policy though if neither of us are living there currently? Thanks

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Thanks for the input. Is it possible for us to take out a Canadian life insurance policy though if neither of us are living there currently? Thanks
A life insurance policy will cover you no matter where you are living in the world.

You can get a joint policy, so each of you are the beneficiary of each other.

Erin Lynsay

Dec 1, 2017
Vancouver
You only need 2 of those. We did not (and I suspect many people) don't have the first one.

For financial support, we showed bank statements showing transfers between our accounts, as well as a bank account on which my husband is an authorized user.

For proof that the relationship is recognized by family, we had Facebook status and messages, as well as congratulatory cards from our family for the wedding.

andrei0917

Star Member
Oct 6, 2017
You only need 2 of those. We did not (and I suspect many people) don't have the first one.

For financial support, we showed bank statements showing transfers between our accounts, as well as a bank account on which my husband is an authorized user.

For proof that the relationship is recognized by family, we had Facebook status and messages, as well as congratulatory cards from our family for the wedding.
Hello! How was your application? I am also doing the same since my husband and I have no life insurance or other insurance/benefits other than our rental insurance. My documents would be the same as yours, bank transfers and social media posts. Do you think it wilk be enough? Hoping for a response. Thann you

Erin Lynsay

Dec 1, 2017
Vancouver
They did accept the application as complete. They have not asked for additional evidence (yet). Our application is 8 months in.
However, how strong they think the evidence is up for debate on a case by case basis.

I think you should be fine. :)

andrei0917

Star Member
Oct 6, 2017
They did accept the application as complete. They have not asked for additional evidence (yet). Our application is 8 months in.
However, how strong they think the evidence is up for debate on a case by case basis.

I think you should be fine. :)
Crossing fingers though thank you!!

milon45

Star Member
Jul 10, 2023
Hello,

My husband and I currently live in the USA. I am Canadian and live here on a student visa. My husband and I are applying for him to get permanent residency status as a spouse (he is american). On the document checklist, it states:

Provide at least 2 of the following (check which items you are providing):

Important documents for you and your spouse showing that you are recognized as each other's spouse (such as employment or insurance benefits)

Documentary evidence of financial support between you and your sponsor, and/or shared expenses.

Other proof that your relationship is recognized by your friends and/or family (e.g. Letters from friends/family, social media information showing a public relationship, etc.).

Get life insurance at here
I do not work as I am on a student visa in the states which does not permit me to work. My husband does not receive insurance benefits through his work. We were thinking of taking out a life insurance policy to fulfill the "important documents" requirement. my question is, would it be better for me (the Canadian) to take out the policy, and have him listed as the beneficiary? or vice versa? Should both of us have life insurance policies with the other listed as the beneficiary? Does it matter if we use an american company instead of a canadian one? Thanks!!
Hey! I have a question about life insurance and could use some advice from those who are knowledgeable in this area. I recently purchased a life insurance policy, and while going through the details, I came across the term "policy riders." I'm not entirely sure what these are and how they affect my coverage. Could someone please shed some light on the significance of policy riders in a life insurance policy? Are they essential, or are they optional add-ons? What are some common types of riders, and when should I consider adding them to my policy? Your insights and experiences would be greatly appreciated! Understanding policy riders will undoubtedly help us make informed decisions about our life insurance coverage, and it's essential to be well-informed when it comes to financial planning and protecting our loved one's future.