+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Letter says one thing, CIC website another

SamHom

Oct 5, 2015
Hi

For my landing interview next week I need to bring two photos, I guess for PR card. However my issue now is that CIC website and the letter they sent me contradicts them self.

Letter says that one of the photos should have the date it was taken printed on the back.

CIC website says it should have the date it was printed on the back, BUT ALSO the name and address of the company doing the photograph, and also my date of birth.

Which one should I follow?

I got an advice from Ponga to take three photos, and simply have one of each just in case. However avoiding this would be ideal. Any experience in this?

Picky

Star Member
Aug 17, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
ISB/London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-07-2010
Doc's Request.
30-07-2014
File Transfer...
26-05-2015
Med's Request
26-05-2015
Med's Done....
09-07-2015 additional test done on 08-08-2015 dependent PC &relation proof sent on 08-09-15 dependent Fingerprint done 10-09-15
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
11-11-2015
SamHom said:
Hi

For my landing interview next week I need to bring two photos, I guess for PR card. However my issue now is that CIC website and the letter they sent me contradicts them self.

Letter says that one of the photos should have the date it was taken printed on the back.

CIC website says it should have the date it was printed on the back, BUT ALSO the name and address of the company doing the photograph, and also my date of birth.

I got an advice from Ponga to take three photos, and simply have one of each just in case. However avoiding this would be ideal. Any experience in this?
I would go with what CIC website says as it not only meet the requirement of your letter but excedes the requirement. So its a safer option.

Turbo2000

Star Member
Aug 7, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-05-2015
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
02-06-2015
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
DM1: 02-07-2015, IN PROCESS: 09-10-2015
Med's Request
UPFRONT
Med's Done....
14-04-2015
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
12-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
DM2: 12-18-2015
LANDED..........
JAN. 17TH 2016 !!!!!!!!!!!!!
I will suggest you follow the instructions on the letter you received...it is specific and directed to you. The website is general.

Better still, do as Ponga said, one extra photo is a very minor issue to ponder over.

SamHom said:
Hi

SamHom

Oct 5, 2015
Thanks guys! Anyone else?

As of now I will do an extra photo. Just to be safe. But was hoping someone would know details about this.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I vote letter hands-down.

ECAS isn't always up to date. For example, ECAS didn't update to show "decision made" for my husband until a month AFTER he had landed and become a PR. How did he know he could land? He followed the instructions he received in the letter.

Ignore ECAS. Go with the letter.

SamHom

Oct 5, 2015
scylla said:
I vote letter hands-down.

ECAS isn't always up to date. For example, ECAS didn't update to show "decision made" for my husband until a month AFTER he had landed and become a PR. How did he know he could land? He followed the instructions he received in the letter.

Ignore ECAS. Go with the letter.
Thanks for your input. There is no info on my personal ECAS about this, just on the CIC website in general. Going with the letter does make sense, it is after all more personal. But I feel that it's even safer to get a photo with the instructions from the website too, right? Meaning I will have an extra with the instructions from the website incase they don't accept the one with instructions from letter. However I was wondering if there is any foul to this other than the additional cost? Would CIC disprove of me getting 3 photos just to be safe? I assume no?

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
You could get 10 photos if you wanted. If CIC doesn't want them all, no harm done. I agree with Ponga - just get 3 done.

sweetie83

Mar 10, 2014
Most places will automatically put the studio stamp on the back as well as the date stamp. (We got my wife's photos done at Walmart) If they want your birthday on the back too then you can just write it on once you are landing (although they didn't require us to do that, or even mention it). There is really no reason for you to bring any more than two photos. CIC has no problem with the studio stamp being on the back along with the date.

rugrat907

Feb 3, 2015
California
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2015
AOR Received.
25-04-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
21-11-2014, remeds on 04-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
COPR issued 21-12-2015
SamHom said:
Thanks for your input. There is no info on my personal ECAS about this, just on the CIC website in general. Going with the letter does make sense, it is after all more personal. But I feel that it's even safer to get a photo with the instructions from the website too, right? Meaning I will have an extra with the instructions from the website incase they don't accept the one with instructions from letter. However I was wondering if there is any foul to this other than the additional cost? Would CIC disprove of me getting 3 photos just to be safe? I assume no?
You are overthinking this. Do the three different and you'll be fine.

SamHom

Oct 5, 2015
Thanks guys.

I did two different sets, one with just the date as the landing letter says, and another with what the CIC website says, name and address of studio, date it was taken, my name and date of birth.

The face has to be 25-30mm, chin to crown. On CIC website it says crown is where head/skull would be if no hair. However, my letter says crown is the top of the hair. LOL CIC. Jesus Christ.

My photos are around 27mm chin to top of hair. Even if they exclude some of the hair, it should still be at 25 and therefore fine. Besides my letter says "NEW" right in front of where it says that crown is top of hair, so I guess it's a new rule that they should be fine following.

I measured the pics and everything, actually had to redo it because my face was 32mm the first time. The actual picture has to be 35 by 45mm, however now when I get home i noticed that's not completely the case..they cut it by hand...one picture I guess they were somewhat sloppy with and its like 35 by 43mm.

Should it be fine or will I have to go back to these morons a THIRD time to have them do it again?

shy_guy

Jan 30, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-06-2014
Doc's Request.
NA
AOR Received.
11-08-2014
Med's Request
11-08-2014
Med's Done....
10-09-2014
Interview........
No
Passport Req..
29-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
11-05-2015
LANDED..........
04-07-2015
SamHom said:
Thanks guys.

I did two different sets, one with just the date as the landing letter says, and another with what the CIC website says, name and address of studio, date it was taken, my name and date of birth.

The face has to be 25-30mm, chin to crown. On CIC website it says crown is where head/skull would be if no hair. However, my letter says crown is the top of the hair. LOL CIC. Jesus Christ.

My photos are around 27mm chin to top of hair. Even if they exclude some of the hair, it should still be at 25 and therefore fine. Besides my letter says "NEW" right in front of where it says that crown is top of hair, so I guess it's a new rule that they should be fine following.

I measured the pics and everything, actually had to redo it because my face was 32mm the first time. The actual picture has to be 35 by 45mm, however now when I get home i noticed that's not completely the case..they cut it by hand...one picture I guess they were somewhat sloppy with and its like 35 by 43mm.

Should it be fine or will I have to go back to these morons a THIRD time to have them do it again?
Follow the Letter...and +- 1% error is fine.

SamHom

Oct 5, 2015
Also, if card is not accepted would I need to wait to get copr and schedule another appointment weeks later, or could I still get the copr and get the landing over with but simply have to submit correct photos ASAP?

SamHom

Oct 5, 2015
shy_guy said:
Follow the Letter...and +- 1% error is fine.
You would think so, but another member told me his picture was once denied because the head was .5mm too big. I hope they're not as picky with the actual photo size. Personally i assume they wouldn't be since most if not all places does the cutting manually, but who knows.