+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LETTER OF EXPLANATION TO STUDY IN CANADA

YumiMedina

Star Member
Jan 27, 2017
Hi Everyone,
I am trying to help out my sister to apply for a student permit here in Ontario and wanted to gather some advise from our experts here in the group. She is trying to eventually apply to become a PR after finishing her schooling here. But I wanted to make sure if the below questions are valid and may help her secure the study permit.

1. On her letter of explanation, can she say, that she is intending to study to improve her educational background to further her chances for her express entry application? We are a little hesitant to say this, as the statement says "....to prove the immigration officer, that she will return to her home country upon completing the course".

2. In terms of her finances, I have already inquired with my bank how to open an international account for her. Is this better than her sending her bank statement from her home country?

3. She is taking a course that would be a little more than a year, that gives her another year of work permit after completing the course, and then within that time frame, we are planning on her applying through the Express Entry for her PR status. Is this a good plan, or what are the challenges you may foresee for her after she completes her school?

4. We are planning for her to stay in my house, I own a house, and my parents stay half the year in my house. Is there an incentive/consequence having a family here already in her application, or is it better to consider other provinces? She has a baby who is turning 1 and my parents are excited for their grandchild to be here while her mother studies during the duration. I wanted to find out, if I can include the somewhat "Family Reunification" in her explanation letter to further her chances.

Thank you for your advises as always.

Hope everyone is staying safe!!

- Yumi :)

Kobby84

Star Member
Aug 31, 2020
I understand, but isnt the process encouraging foreigners to study here and widen your experience locally so you have better chances for your PR?
they will like you to stay if you meet the necessary conditions after graduation but they also want to know that you will go back home if things don't workout for you. So telling them your main aim is to stay will be counterproductive.

Reactions: YumiMedina

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
Hi Everyone,
I am trying to help out my sister to apply for a student permit here in Ontario and wanted to gather some advise from our experts here in the group. She is trying to eventually apply to become a PR after finishing her schooling here. But I wanted to make sure if the below questions are valid and may help her secure the study permit.

1. On her letter of explanation, can she say, that she is intending to study to improve her educational background to further her chances for her express entry application? We are a little hesitant to say this, as the statement says "....to prove the immigration officer, that she will return to her home country upon completing the course".

2. In terms of her finances, I have already inquired with my bank how to open an international account for her. Is this better than her sending her bank statement from her home country?

3. She is taking a course that would be a little more than a year, that gives her another year of work permit after completing the course, and then within that time frame, we are planning on her applying through the Express Entry for her PR status. Is this a good plan, or what are the challenges you may foresee for her after she completes her school?

4. We are planning for her to stay in my house, I own a house, and my parents stay half the year in my house. Is there an incentive/consequence having a family here already in her application, or is it better to consider other provinces? She has a baby who is turning 1 and my parents are excited for their grandchild to be here while her mother studies during the duration. I wanted to find out, if I can include the somewhat "Family Reunification" in her explanation letter to further her chances.

Thank you for your advises as always.

Hope everyone is staying safe!!

- Yumi :)
1. Indeed, she must show an intent to leave Canada. If she states that her intent is to settle permanently then that is contrary to the purpose of a study permit, which is only a temporary status, so the application will be refused.

2. They need to be satisfied the funds will be used to pay for her tuition and living expenses in Canada.

3. Studying for only one year is a bad plan if PR is the goal. A one-year PGWP is unlikely to give enough time to get the necessary work experience given her other factors (English skills, educational background) and the trends in CRS scores.

4. Family ties to Canada reduce her family ties to home, which can be a negative factor in any application. "Family reunification" is not what a study permit is for. It is for her to study temporarily in Canada and then go home. If she wants to unite with family she needs to apply for PR.

YumiMedina

Star Member
Jan 27, 2017
1. Indeed, she must show an intent to leave Canada. If she states that her intent is to settle permanently then that is contrary to the purpose of a study permit, which is only a temporary status, so the application will be refused.

2. They need to be satisfied the funds will be used to pay for her tuition and living expenses in Canada.

3. Studying for only one year is a bad plan if PR is the goal. A one-year PGWP is unlikely to give enough time to get the necessary work experience given her other factors (English skills, educational background) and the trends in CRS scores.

4. Family ties to Canada reduce her family ties to home, which can be a negative factor in any application. "Family reunification" is not what a study permit is for. It is for her to study temporarily in Canada and then go home. If she wants to unite with family she needs to apply for PR.

Thank you PrimaPrime, I think I get it now. So even though the PR process encourages people to study here and gather experience for better score, it is a totally separate process. So better not relate the study permit with the PR intentions.

Thank you everyone!!!

YumiMedina

Star Member
Jan 27, 2017
Thank you again everyone for your input!! As always this forum from 10 years ago, when we were checking out the status of our PR application to my citizenship application, has been awesome and really great. :)

Hope everyone is staying safe and healthy!!