+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Letter of employment IMM 5533

alvero

Star Member
Jan 29, 2018
“Provide an original letter from your current employer stating your period of employment...” — IMM 5533 Checklist

Was just about to send off my application and I realized I may have misunderstood this line.

I received an offer from a company which I accepted, but have not started working for just yet. The signed offer letter contains my job title, salary, benefits, and start date. There is no period of employment (it’s permanent) and there are no regular work hours written on it.

It is not an express guarantee of employment (it says it on the offer letter) as there are other agreements for me to sign to make it official but for the most part its the real deal.

I really dont want to wait another month until I start working to apply... Is it good enough or do I have to wait until I start work and get a written letter from my employer?

Thanks

Last edited:

alvero

Star Member
Jan 29, 2018
I apologise for being a bit thick, but I have absolutely no idea what you are asking.
Are you familiar with the IMM 5533 checklist? It asks for a letter of employment from the sponsor’s employer, which is me. I don’t have that (yet), I just have an offer letter that I signed, indicating that I intend to work for that company.

thevisawhisperer

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2020
West Coast
The idea is to demonstrate that you are capable of financially fulfilling your commitment as a sponsor (no minimum income is required). Do you have your 2019 NoA? Are you solvent? You're not required to have current employment (see 'demonstrate' above).

Reactions: alvero

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Are you familiar with the IMM 5533 checklist? It asks for a letter of employment from the sponsor’s employer, which is me. I don’t have that (yet), I just have an offer letter that I signed, indicating that I intend to work for that company.
Are you living abroad? If so then yes you do require the letter. If you are in Canada then it's not needed.