Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-01-2012
Med's Done....
01-09-2011
Hi all

As I've been putting the final touches on my application, I've been scanning through the forums for any helpful bits of information.

One thing I've come across a few times is mention of a "letter" that applicants write about their relationship with their sponsor. In some cases, the sponsor also writes a separate letter about their relationship with the applicant. These letters range from 1 to 15 pages from what I have seen.

Is this something specific and separate from the relationship evidence/answers to relationship development questions on the Sponsored Spouse/Partner Questionnaire (IMM 5490)? If so, can someone kindly point to where we are instructed to include these letters?

For example my answer to the "Describe the circumstance of your first meeting with your sponsor" question on IMM 5490 is over 3 pages long, and my answer to the "Describe the development of your relationship with your sponsor" question on IMM 5490 is over 11 pages long...I'm not sure what else I could write without being repetitive and/or doing it in prose form, and that doesn't seem like something an IO would need/want. ???

Kazakhstan

Star Member
Jan 12, 2012
Wow some guys are really overdoing their applications from what I see here... :)
No official requirement to include such essays. However, it won't hurt either.

For answering the questions, we used the space provided in the forms and were
brief, but to the point. We did write letters each, outlining our story,
to add a personal touch to our application package... They were half-to-one page long.
(Our apps were approved, now we're all in Canada waiting for citizenship).

My advice to you, if you're to write smth like that, make it short. 1-2 pages max.
They're not gonna read all of it if it's too too long anyways, so why waste the efforts?
"Brevity is the sister of wit".

But if you feel like writing a short novel, go ahead. "Better safe than sorry"

Quince777

Aug 16, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I agree with Kazakhstan about the length of your answers. I also only used the space provided to write down my answers as clearly as possible to give an idea of how my relationship developed. You're not required to write a "novel" of your relationship. Moreover the consulate doesn't have time to read it all through, they have lots of apps to go through. I mean it's up to you but I think you already went over and above with your answers (several pages long answer instead of using the space provided in the app).

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Kazakhstan said:
"Brevity is the sister of wit".
A slight mis-quote :)

Therefore, since brevity is the soul of wit,
And tediousness the limbs and outward flourishes,
I will be brief.
~William Shakespeare, Hamlet

Back OT...

A different view.

The "letters" come from the note on the forms - "If insufficient space, use a separate sheet of paper."
Many people (usually both partners) write a longer answer to these questions, and therefore use extra pages.

They do read it (no actual % available), well they did in my case, as there are positive comments in my file about details that I provided in my long reply.

It is a personal choice whether you write a long reply and how long you make it, but IMO, it is worth the effort.

Kazakhstan

Star Member
Jan 12, 2012
Baloo said:
A slight mis-quote :)

Therefore, since brevity is the soul of wit,
Thank you! It did sound wrong to me when I wrote it, I actually mixed it up with the equivalent phrase in Russian (Kratost' - sestra talanta, or "Brevity is the sister of talent").

Well, each application is different, there can't be a universal approach. Short answers, long answers both are good. BUT. As long as they approve the app, that's all that matters.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Kazakhstan said:
Thank you! It did sound wrong to me when I wrote it, I actually mixed it up with the equivalent phrase in Russian (Kratost' - sestra talanta, or "Brevity is the sister of talent").

Easy to do, either way it sounds good :)

Well, each application is different, there can't be a universal approach. Short answers, long answers both are good. BUT. As long as they approve the app, that's all that matters.
Very true.

RedSox502

Star Member
Aug 2, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-01-2012
Med's Done....
01-09-2011
Thanks for the replies. On the length of my "describe the development of your your relationship with your sponsor," though it is 11 pages, it is in bullet point form laying out major (ie not every single date we've ever gone on) things we've done together, trips, meetings with each other's families, etc.

Kazakhstan

Star Member
Jan 12, 2012
RedSox502 said:
Thanks for the replies. On the length of my "describe the development of your your relationship with your sponsor," though it is 11 pages, it is in bullet point form laying out major (ie not every single date we've ever gone on) things we've done together, trips, meetings with each other's families, etc.
Oh I just realized we applied in 2008 BEFORE the latest measures of toughening the screening of spousal immigration applications have been implemented...

You're doing the right thing. You can write 110 pages, if needed, to be together with the person(s) you love and can't be without. You can't tell your family's story, all the milestones in a few sentences.

Remembering back, I did provide additional pages to a few of the questions, they weren't too long though.

Anyways, sorry about my initial comment, it was a bit too harsh and hasty... I should have recalled my app better (or maybe better open it up review it???) - it's been 4 years.

To your ORIGINAL POST:

No need to repeat the factual information already described in responses to questions in the forms.............

What you can write, maybe, is about your hopes and aspiration for your guys's future in Canada? Or how this current app process is separating your family and you're hoping for the best and soonest outcome? Or some important info that hasn't been covered in all of the standard forms?

Anyways, something meaningful but also supporting your application - don't write anything just to write it... As I said earlier, we outlined the major facts of our situation from my and her points of view and tried to explain the best we could that we can't live without each other and our children and it would hurt our hearts to be apart even for one day........ (I sounded somewhat formal and logical - I have to provide for my family, in Canada there are many opportunities for education, healthcare, the economy back home sucks, a family should be together, therefore they should be here with me in Canada etc etc, my wife was more emotional and wordy - love love love :)

sidkrose

Apr 25, 2011
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Berlin
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-07-2011
AOR Received.
24-10-2011
Med's Done....
08-07-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
15-11-2011
VISA ISSUED...
25-11-2011
LANDED..........
10-12-2011
RedSox502 said:
Yes, we didn't include separate "letters" either, though many people do. However, our "development of relationship" answer was very long (over 25 pages, though it included pictures). So I think it is really individual. I think some people simply state the facts in answer to the question and then provide additional information about how they feel about one another in a separate document. All about taste really :)