Dec 8, 2015
Mumbai
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My passport expires in the first week of Feb 2017. Now, call me overly optimistic but in case I receive PT from Ontario, the processing takes about 90 days for the provincial nomination. Thereafter, the Express Entry process will take about 6 months. Which in total is 9 months. Assuming I get the call for visa stamping (again being overly optimistic) by the end of September 2016, I will be left with only 4 months of validity on my passport.

So the questions are:
  • When is the best time to apply for passport renewal? - Immediately or wait till June 2016?
  • What is the impact on my EE profile if I get a new passport, say, when I have submitted ITA application? (once again being overly optimistic ;D)
  • If I get Police Clearance stamp on my existing passport, would I need the stamp again on the new passport?
  • I really don't know this but, do I need to surrender my old passport to get a new one? I mean, does the office revoke my old one after it issues a new one? (India)

Rohit11t

Jul 30, 2015
narayanf1 said:
My passport expires in the first week of Feb 2017. Now, call me overly optimistic but in case I receive PT from Ontario, the processing takes about 90 days for the provincial nomination. Thereafter, the Express Entry process will take about 6 months. Which in total is 9 months. Assuming I get the call for visa stamping (again being overly optimistic) by the end of September 2016, I will be left with only 4 months of validity on my passport.

So the questions are:
  • When is the best time to apply for passport renewal? - Immediately or wait till June 2016?
I would suggest you to do it ASAP. Coz I think a minimum 6 month validity should is required on your passport for EE application (correct me if I am wrong).
  • What is the impact on my EE profile if I get a new passport, say, when I have submitted ITA application? (once again being overly optimistic ;D)
No impact on your EE profile.
  • If I get Police Clearance stamp on my existing passport, would I need the stamp again on the new passport?
I would suggest you to get a PPC on the new passport to avoid any hassles (Usually it hardly takes any time 2-3 weeks for new passport and 2 weeks for PCC).
  • I really don't know this but, do I need to surrender my old passport to get a new one? I mean, does the office revoke my old one after it issues a new one?
    (India)
No. Your expired passport along with the new passport will be sent to you.
[/list]

Talal Nasir

Dec 16, 2015
You should renew your passport as soon as possible. Even in between applying for a passport, you get a PT notification

it will be valid for a month at least. So get a new passport, change it on EE profile and then accept the PT notification.

Because if your passport validity is less than 2 years a the time of your PR application to CEC. you could be asked to do it first and then re-apply, which is risky...

narayanf1

Dec 8, 2015
Mumbai
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Talal Nasir said:
You should renew your passport as soon as possible. Even in between applying for a passport, you get a PT notification

it will be valid for a month at least. So get a new passport, change it on EE profile and then accept the PT notification.

Because if your passport validity is less than 2 years a the time of your PR application to CEC. you could be asked to do it first and then re-apply, which is risky...
Unfortunately, in India the rule says one cannot apply for reissue of passport before 1 year from its expiry date.

In case I receive a PT from Ontario this Friday, I will contact them and clarify if I can proceed.

Talal Nasir

Dec 16, 2015
Hi

Same Rule is in Pakistan: You cannot have a new passport with 1 year expiry.

Here I make 50 Rs stamp paper (notarized it) and explain the reason for applying a new passport.

The person in charge did made a bad face when accepting the stamp. But I think if you are well dressed and

talk in good language. You can have your work done... you should try at least.

AgentC

Star Member
Mar 23, 2015
narayanf1 said:
Unfortunately, in India the rule says one cannot apply for reissue of passport before 1 year from its expiry date.

In case I receive a PT from Ontario this Friday, I will contact them and clarify if I can proceed.
I don't think so. I just got renewed my passport (which expiring in Dec '16) last week @ Mumbai PO. Just try you luck once. It might go through.

pgupta8

Star Member
Mar 25, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-06-2015
AOR Received.
08-07-2015
Passport Req..
08-01-2015
I got my passport renewed 2 months after my AOR. Sent CIC copy of the new one with a letter of explanation and they accepted it. So in my opinion, it doesn't matter if you decide to get your passport renewed during application process as your new passport will have old one's details.

In India, the rule says you cannot renew till your passport is about to expire in next 1 year. So you may have to wait till February, 2016 for renewal but nothing should stop you from moving ahead with your application.

nav0991

Star Member
Feb 3, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Passport Req..
29-03-2016
pgupta8 said:
I got my passport renewed 2 months after my AOR. Sent CIC copy of the new one with a letter of explanation and they accepted it. So in my opinion, it doesn't matter if you decide to get your passport renewed during application process as your new passport will have old one's details.

In India, the rule says you cannot renew till your passport is about to expire in next 1 year. So you may have to wait till February, 2016 for renewal but nothing should stop you from moving ahead with your application.
Where did you apply for re-issue for the passport, How long it took? And how you notified CIC ? And how long it took to acknowledge your update?

Arian_UD

Star Member
Oct 14, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pgupta8 said:

I agree with Pgupta8. I am expecting my AOR in a couple of weeks and my passport will expire in Aug.
I was advised by my consultant to have my AOR received and then apply for a renewal and notify CIC.

khoi_ke_hoonxa

Star Member
Jun 10, 2015
Hi
Did you email them the scanned copy of your passport? or did you couriered copies of your new passport to OINP?
Thank you in advance for your reply.

Scottygirl

Jan 19, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-12-2015
Doc's Request.
23-12-2015
AOR Received.
14-12-2015
Med's Done....
Upfront (passed Dec 15 2015)
Passport Req..
05-05-2016 (sent 06-05-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
12-05-2016
LANDED..........
15-07-2016
Talal Nasir said:

My husband had less than a year left on his passport when we applied and we have never been asked for a new one yet (he is getting a new one next month so will have it in plenty time if we get PPR). Also, most countries do not let you renew your passport until it is within a year of the expiry date so I don't think it is necessary to have more than 2 years validity left on your passport to apply for CEC.

Kalaivanee

Jun 7, 2014
Hi Can someone tell me whether i should i renew my passport first or i can i passport later after submitting the documents?

My passport going to expire on March 2018 and i am planning to submit all documents by Sep 2017 . Should i renew the passport and then only submit it?

Thanks,