+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Less than 6 months passport validity

Reet24

May 8, 2021
Hi everyone, I am an Indian passport holder with Canadian PR. I Have to travel to India on 20th February and return back the first week of March but my passport expires in July. I applied for a passport renewal under tatkal but they returned my application cause I made one mistake. Would I be able to travel with less than 6 months left on my passport? I'm travelling with Etihad Airlines. I don't want to reapply my application and not get it back on time. Please help if someone had a similar experience.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi everyone, I am an Indian passport holder with Canadian PR. I Have to travel to India on 20th February and return back the first week of March but my passport expires in July. I applied for a passport renewal under tatkal but they returned my application cause I made one mistake. Would I be able to travel with less than 6 months left on my passport? I'm travelling with Etihad Airlines. I don't want to reapply my application and not get it back on time. Please help if someone had a similar experience.
Best to check with the airline ASAP. Usually, a passport does need to be valid for 6 months or longer for commercial carriers.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Best to check with the airline ASAP. Usually, a passport does need to be valid for 6 months or longer for commercial carriers.
You'll be fine entering Canada - but that won't help you much if you can't get on the plane. (If the airline asks, you can say with certainty that Canada will - must - let a PR with a valid card into the country.)

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You'll be fine entering Canada - but that won't help you much if you can't get on the plane. (If the airline asks, you can say with certainty that Canada will - must - let a PR with a valid card into the country.)
Oh I'm trying REALLY hard not to start that discussion...again...regarding `Canada will - must - let a PR with a valid card into the country'. :eek:

I actually wonder if the outbound flight (in a few weeks) will be a problem, since the passport expires in July (only valid for another 5 months).

• Haha
Reactions: armoured

Reet24

May 8, 2021
Checked with CBSA; they won't create any issues as long as the airline is okay with it. But the airline gives me a different answer every time I call.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The airline is giving me mixed answers every time
That's scary!

I took a look around their website and found nothing pertaining to passport validity. Perhaps you should use their chat feature and take a screen shot of the conversation (showing date/time/agent's name) if the agent says that it will NOT be a problem.

Reet24

May 8, 2021
That's scary!

I took a look around their website and found nothing pertaining to passport validity. Perhaps you should use their chat feature and take a screen shot of the conversation (showing date/time/agent's name) if the agent says that it will NOT be a problem.
That's a pretty good idea. I will do that.
Thank you. Just sent a form to CBSA to give me in writing it won't be an issue to come back.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
That's a pretty good idea. I will do that.
Thank you. Just sent a form to CBSA to give me in writing it won't be an issue to come back.
I believe that your valid PR Card `Trumps' the possible passport issue with CBSA.

When you return to Canada, you will scan your PR Card, not your passport (if using a self-serve kiosk at the airport). It's only the commercial carrier that needs to see the passport...and PR Card, of course.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi

Could you please update what happened with you in this case

I have the exact same scenario

Thanks
The airline should follow the general rules for PRs. And the rule for a PR is that with the valid card, they will be admitted, and because the person is a permanent resident, they do not need to leave. (which is the reason for a visitor being expected to have a valid passport with validity x months or more - because they must leave. I.e. apart from the passport being valid to fly on (>1 day validity), it's not relevant for a PR.

But whether airlines know this is a different issue. All you can do is explain it to them.

tedMosby12

Nov 7, 2022
Thanks,

I am thinking to get it renewed during my stay in India.

While I leave canada I know there won't be any issue entering India, would there be any problem if I have transit from Paris.?

I am not sure about this ?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks,

I am thinking to get it renewed during my stay in India.

While I leave canada I know there won't be any issue entering India, would there be any problem if I have transit from Paris.?

I am not sure about this ?
I don't understand your question.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Can I take on a flight with a layover when flying from Canada to India with same scenario ? For example one Paris layover.
Depends entirely what the airline will accept.

Note, when you say 'layover', or 'transit', I'm assuming this is not leaving the international/transit section of the airport. If you want to leave the international zone or go into the city, you have to enter via passport control. Whether France lets you in or not with a short-validity passport is entirely up to ... well, France.