+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

lesbian couple sponsorship as common-law partner

frankie389

Aug 20, 2007
Hello Everyone,

I am a Canadian citizen and plan to sponsor my girlfriend next year as common-law partner in family class. She is a Chinese citizen and works in a Japanese trade company. We met in year 2002.We've been staying and living together for almost 5 years. I have been out of Canada for about 10 years.(worked in Japan for 6 years and came to China to study TCM for nearly 5 years) Before I left Canada, I've graduated from UBC and got a job offer in Japan. After working in Japan for 6 years, I decided to came to China to study medicine and help more people.Right now I just finished my 4 years study at Shanghai TCM University and doing the 1 year internship in hospital. I will graduate next summer, which means I did not work in the past 5 years. I have a few questions in the process of preparing for the application.
1.Since I have been away from Canada for such a long time, do i have to show any tax evidence or make up the taxes to Canadian government for the 6 years working in Japan?
2.When i sponsor my gf as common law parnter next year, I probably just find a job or about to find one, which means I might not have stable income or say, no income,does it really matter?
3.If we marry in Canada as lesbian couple, will it fasten the appliction of PR for her?
4.After she lands in Canada as PR, do I have to stay with her in Canada all the time? Or can I leave Canada for some time, i.e. travelling abroad, short-period work etc.?

Thanks & Best Regards,
Natasha Lee