+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leon: Should I end my PR status first and then apply for sponsoring family?

Lotus July

Dec 13, 2011
I landed Canada in Sep. 22, 2004, the expiry date of my PR card was Oct. 19, 2009. I got into Canada 4 times and lived in Canada for total 180 days during the first five years, and my wife and son lived in Canada and became Canadian citizen in 2009 during the first five years. I got travelling document (visa) from outside of Canada and I got into Canada in Feb. 2010, and lived in Canada for 45 days. and then l left Canada for other country with my wife(Canadian citizen) till now. I know I do not meet all the requirements of renewing PR card. If my wife apply family sponsoring for me, what should I do first? should I need to end my previous PR status ? how to do that? Really need your help, many thanks!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As long as you have proof that you live with your Canadian citizen spouse, you maintain the PR requirement and are still a PR while living outside Canada. You don't have to end your PR status. Since you are still PR, she cannot sponsor you.

Lotus July

Dec 13, 2011
steaky said:
As long as you have proof that you live with your Canadian citizen spouse, you maintain the PR requirement and are still a PR while living outside Canada. You don't have to end your PR status. Since you are still PR, she cannot sponsor you.
Thank you for your prompt answer!
the date I left Canada last time with my wife was after the expiry date of PR card, and I didn't renew it. If I want to return to Canada again with my wife, is it the only way to get a travelling document? or can I use the expired PR card?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you are just visiting Canada and have a valid visa-exempted passport, use this to travel to Canada.

Otherwise, if no visa-exempted passport and you plan to stay in Canada for good, apply the travel document.

Lotus July

Dec 13, 2011
steaky said:
If you are just visiting Canada and have a valid visa-exempted passport, use this to travel to Canada.

Otherwise, if no visa-exempted passport and you plan to stay in Canada for good, apply the travel document.
Thanks a lot, steaky! I see and will try.