+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Length of work permit with LMIA

Sarah1980

Apr 15, 2019
Hello all,

I was wondering what was the length of the work permit people got with LMIA ? I heard 4 years is the max they would give. Can you confirm ??
Thanks,

vubq123

Star Member
Dec 28, 2018
Category........
CEC
AOR Received.
09-05-2020
Hello all,

I was wondering what was the length of the work permit people got with LMIA ? I heard 4 years is the max they would give. Can you confirm ??
Thanks,
How long can I work in Canada as a temporary worker?
There is no set maximum amount of time you can work in Canada as a temporary worker. The length of time you can work depends on:

• the job offer from your employer
  • the length of time listed on your Labour Market Impact Assessment, if your employer needed to get one to hire you
  • how long your passport is valid for
This is stated from CIC.

Sarah1980

Apr 15, 2019
How long can I work in Canada as a temporary worker?
There is no set maximum amount of time you can work in Canada as a temporary worker. The length of time you can work depends on:

• the job offer from your employer
  • the length of time listed on your Labour Market Impact Assessment, if your employer needed to get one to hire you
  • how long your passport is valid for
This is stated from CIC.

Thanks. I understand though that the length of time listed on the LMIA is usually not more than 4 years, but I was wondering if anyone that got a work permit with LMIA would confirm that ?

Sarah1980

Apr 15, 2019
On CIC website, it also states that if duration on LMIA is indeterminate or permanent they will only issue a work permit for 2 years:

Duration of work permit where the duration of the LMIA is “Indeterminate/Permanent”
In the Job Details section under the Employment Detail – LMIA view tab in GCMS, the Duration field will indicate a specific duration or “indeterminate/permanent” period.

Work permits supported by a permanent duration LMIA will be issued for a maximum period of two years, provided the foreign national meets the requirements set out in the LMIA. Such work permits will not be extended, regardless of whether the permanent residence application is still in process.