+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Length of Stay Outside Canada & other formalities

simransingh16

May 7, 2018
I received my Canada PR in September 2018, and landed in Canada in October 2018. I stayed in Ontario received my PR card and completed other formalities and paper work (e.g. SIN etc) and after staying for about 151 days came back to my home country. My query is pertaining to clarification of following doubts:
1). How long can a Canadian PR stay out of Canada if there is still time left on expiry of PR card?
2). While returning after a gap of a year or so any other formalities have to be done example medical or PCC etc???
3). While leaving the home country what all documents are required to be shown at the immigration dept. at the airport since the immigrant visa is cancelled and a PR card sent?

Although, these questions are very basic but I am confused on these aspects and require some guidance from experienced fellow immigrants. Would appreciate some inputs on this. Thank you so much.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I received my Canada PR in September 2018, and landed in Canada in October 2018. I stayed in Ontario received my PR card and completed other formalities and paper work (e.g. SIN etc) and after staying for about 151 days came back to my home country. My query is pertaining to clarification of following doubts:
1). How long can a Canadian PR stay out of Canada if there is still time left on expiry of PR card?
2). While returning after a gap of a year or so any other formalities have to be done example medical or PCC etc???
3). While leaving the home country what all documents are required to be shown at the immigration dept. at the airport since the immigrant visa is cancelled and a PR card sent?

Although, these questions are very basic but I am confused on these aspects and require some guidance from experienced fellow immigrants. Would appreciate some inputs on this. Thank you so much.
as long as you meet the 2 out of 5 years from the landing date you have nothing to worry about and you just return with your PR card. If you only remained for 151 you likely didn’t meet the residency obligation to receive healthcare and should reapply. a valid healt card does not mean you qualify for healthcare. Would look up the health card website for more information. Technically you should advise the province of long absences so nobody uses your card fraudulently. Unfortunately it happens.. Things like pharmacists pushing through renewals without the patient asking for one.

http://globalnews.ca/news/4979855/ontario-pharmacy-fraud-prescription-for-profit/

Reactions: simransingh16

simransingh16

May 7, 2018
as long as you meet the 2 out of 5 years from the landing date you have nothing to worry about and you just return with your PR card. If you only remained for 151 you likely didn’t meet the residency obligation to receive healthcare and should reapply. a valid healt card does not mean you qualify for healthcare. Would look up the health card website for more information. Technically you should advise the province of long absences so nobody uses your card fraudulently. Unfortunately it happens.. Things like pharmacists pushing through renewals without the patient asking for one.

http://globalnews.ca/news/4979855/ontario-pharmacy-fraud-prescription-for-profit/
Thanks for your valuable inputs, will definitely look into the healthcare aspects. Your help is much appreciated.

Omar34

Jul 31, 2018
Just make sure you dont stay outside Canada for more than 3 years. To be safe, I would not stay outside for more than 2 and a half years (leave half a year as a buffer).
2). While returning after a gap of a year or so any other formalities have to be done example medical or PCC etc???. Nothing that I am aware of.
3). While leaving the home country what all documents are required to be shown at the immigration dept. at the airport since the immigrant visa is cancelled and a PR card sent? Just have your PR card with you and you are good to go.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
For clarity and emphasis (in case other responses do not make this clear enough):

A PR abroad can board a flight to Canada using a valid PR card at least right up to the day before its expiration date (not sure about that precise day). After that a PR abroad will need to obtain a PR TD in order to board a flight to Canada (with exceptions, such as for PRs who are also U.S. citizens).

What happens upon arrival at a PoE when returning from abroad depends on whether the PR has complied with the PR Residency Obligation. The expiry date of the PR card IS NOT RELEVANT in this regard.