+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Length of a stay outside Canada as a PR

manisha

Jul 24, 2006
Hi there:

I landed in Canada as Permanent Resident in July 2010. Now, am planning to go back to my home country to get the help of my parents during my pregnancy. I am planning to return Canada after the child is born. I have two questions at this time:

How long can I stay back in my home country? One of my friends told me that I can stay only up to six months during a visit. Is it true?

If I stay there and my child is born in my home country, what would be my child's status. Do I have to apply for Permanent residency for my child separately? Or the child can automatically accompany me when I come back? My spouse is also a Permanent Resident of Canada and lives in Canada.

I request your valuable feedback. Thanks.

Mani

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

manisha said:
Hi there:

I landed in Canada as Permanent Resident in July 2010. Now, am planning to go back to my home country to get the help of my parents during my pregnancy. I am planning to return Canada after the child is born. I have two questions at this time:

How long can I stay back in my home country? One of my friends told me that I can stay only up to six months during a visit. Is it true?

If I stay there and my child is born in my home country, what would be my child's status. Do I have to apply for Permanent residency for my child separately? Or the child can automatically accompany me when I come back? My spouse is also a Permanent Resident of Canada and lives in Canada.

I request your valuable feedback. Thanks.

Mani
1. You have to remain in Canada for 2 years in every 5 year period, so you will be fine. The old 6 month rule "died" with the new Act in 2002.
2. If you are from a country requiring a visitor visa to enter Canada, then your spouse will have to sponsor the child when s/he is born. He has to be resident in Canada to submit the sponsorship and application.

manisha

Jul 24, 2006
PMM said:
Hi

1. You have to remain in Canada for 2 years in every 5 year period, so you will be fine. The old 6 month rule "died" with the new Act in 2002.
2. If you are from a country requiring a visitor visa to enter Canada, then your spouse will have to sponsor the child when s/he is born. He has to be resident in Canada to submit the sponsorship and application.
Thanks PMM for your valuable prompt response. I appreciate it. It cleared my doubts.