+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Legally work in Toronto options

hharry

Apr 24, 2017
Hello,

My name is Cristiano, I’m a software engineer from Uruguay that wants to move and work in Toronto. I have visited the city last month and got a job offer from a company there, which I’m also currently working remotely.

I would like to ask what’s the best option for me to move to Toronto and legally work there. Initially I thought about getting a job permit through the CIC site just like I did for my visit Visa, but it seems that the LMIA document requirement is quite difficult and my employer probably won’t be able to get it, or it would take way too much time.

After that I found that another option is the ontario immigration nominee program, but I’m not sure if it would work for my case and there are comments about that it takes a really long time.

The last option would be to apply through the express entry program, but sadly my score is 65/100 (of the 67 needed) without the job offer, which means my application is always rejected, and although I have a valid job offer, it seems that an LMIA is also required for this option, which would give me the required missing points. However, the express entry option seems to also take a really long time even if I’m able to increase my score.

So the main question is that, what options do I have?

Thanks,
Cristiano.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Can you improve your IELTS score to meet the 67 points, or have you maxed out? (L 8.0, WRS 7.0)

Otherwise, I'm surprised this company didn't verify your status in Canada before giving you a job offer, sounds pretty shady that they didn't.

sabashahid

Apr 15, 2017
hharry said:
Hello,

My name is Cristiano, I’m a software engineer from Uruguay that wants to move and work in Toronto. I have visited the city last month and got a job offer from a company there, which I’m also currently working remotely.

I would like to ask what’s the best option for me to move to Toronto and legally work there. Initially I thought about getting a job permit through the CIC site just like I did for my visit Visa, but it seems that the LMIA document requirement is quite difficult and my employer probably won’t be able to get it, or it would take way too much time.

After that I found that another option is the ontario immigration nominee program, but I’m not sure if it would work for my case and there are comments about that it takes a really long time.

The last option would be to apply through the express entry program, but sadly my score is 65/100 (of the 67 needed) without the job offer, which means my application is always rejected, and although I have a valid job offer, it seems that an LMIA is also required for this option, which would give me the required missing points. However, the express entry option seems to also take a really long time even if I’m able to increase my score.

So the main question is that, what options do I have?

Thanks,
Cristiano.
Improve your score man its not a big thing

hharry

Apr 24, 2017
Improving my IELTS score is probably possible, although the test itself is a pain in the a** not to mention expensive! Even if I get my IELTS score and manage to get into the pool, the odds I get picked up with that score are probably really bad, I have no work experience in Canada, I have no PhD (just a 5 year bachelor degree that after the ECA it is equivalent to 4 years sadly), and certainly not a millionaire.

I don't know what you mean with the job offer, it was everything clear from the interview and that he would get me an LMIA, nothing shady there.