+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Legally Separated to Divorced - POST COPR

preritkaji

Nov 8, 2017
Hello everyone,

I received my COPR mail on 18 Dec 2019, i submitted my passport for stamping on 23 Dec 2019.
Under my application my Ex- is a non accompanying and marital status is Legally Separated and i have not received my Divorce Decree from court.
In COPR mail it clearly states to inform CIC about change in Marital Status.
Options that i have-
O1: I inform CIC about change in Marital Status, will CIC cancel my current COPR ? What if my passport already comes with Visa stamp before that ?
O2: I inform CIC about change in marital status after i receive my Passport stamp. Will anything change ?
O3: I land in Canada with Legally separated, b what means can CIC know that marital status was changed ?

I still dont have the Divorce decree, but expect to come in a weeks time. I still have 3/4 months before i actually fly to canada.
Just trying to make the best decision.

Thanks everyone for your time

kuskus

Champion Member
Jun 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello everyone,

I received my COPR mail on 18 Dec 2019, i submitted my passport for stamping on 23 Dec 2019.
Under my application my Ex- is a non accompanying and marital status is Legally Separated and i have not received my Divorce Decree from court.
In COPR mail it clearly states to inform CIC about change in Marital Status.
Options that i have-
O1: I inform CIC about change in Marital Status, will CIC cancel my current COPR ? What if my passport already comes with Visa stamp before that ?
O2: I inform CIC about change in marital status after i receive my Passport stamp. Will anything change ?
O3: I land in Canada with Legally separated, b what means can CIC know that marital status was changed ?

I still dont have the Divorce decree, but expect to come in a weeks time. I still have 3/4 months before i actually fly to canada.
Just trying to make the best decision.

Thanks everyone for your time
In your application, you’re already listed as legally separated. In my opinion, it remains such until you have proof of divorce. You can present/inform IRCC of your divorce whenever you get the decree in hand, which may be after you receive your visa and CoPR, May be even after you land.

preritkaji

Nov 8, 2017
, which may be after you receive your visa and CoPR, May be even after you land.
But will that be okay ? to inform them after i land ? Will they not take it as mis-representation ?
What happens if i inform them now, will they withdraw my visa stamp and ask for stamping again ?

kuskus

Champion Member
Jun 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
But will that be okay ? to inform them after i land ? Will they not take it as mis-representation ?
What happens if i inform them now, will they withdraw my visa stamp and ask for stamping again ?
Still my opinion. It can’t be misrepresentation because the divorce decree document will show when the divorce became final. If that date is after you have landed, that’s when you inform them. Remember, they’re already aware that you may be going through divorce proceedings, since you’re legally separated.

preritkaji

Nov 8, 2017
All depends on when you get the document showing you are officially divorced.
So i have received my Divorce papers (Original Decree) on 4th January, but my Passport is with Delhi office for stamping, but not dispatched yet.
In this situation i am planning to inform CIC/IRCC today, what can be the possible outcome?

preritkaji

Nov 8, 2017
Still my opinion. It can’t be misrepresentation because the divorce decree document will show when the divorce became final. If that date is after you have landed, that’s when you inform them. Remember, they’re already aware that you may be going through divorce proceedings, since you’re legally separated.
So i have received my Divorce papers (Original Decree) on 4th January, but my Passport is with Delhi office for stamping, but not dispatched yet.
In this situation i am planning to inform CIC/IRCC today, what can be the possible outcome?

kuskus

Champion Member
Jun 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Your application will be updated with the latest information.