+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Legal separation/ divorce for applying for parent's PR?

misstchopra23

Star Member
Feb 18, 2018
New Delhi, India
A question:

I am a PR in Canada. If in the future, I plan to apply for PR for my mother (single parent), what document do I need to show to support why I only want to apply for her and not my father?

Will I need their divorce decree? Or will a legal separation document be enough? What does IRCC demand in cases like that?

At this moment, they both are living separately. No legal document in place.

Asking so that I can arrange the document by the time I become eligible to apply for my mother's PR.

Thanks!

Usmz

Star Member
May 8, 2018
A question:

I am a PR in Canada. If in the future, I plan to apply for PR for my mother (single parent), what document do I need to show to support why I only want to apply for her and not my father?

Will I need their divorce decree? Or will a legal separation document be enough? What does IRCC demand in cases like that?

Asking so that I can arrange the document by the time I become eligible to apply for my mother's PR.

Thanks!
Hi,

I have just applied for my mother-in-law's under PGP sponsorship and she is a single parent(legally separated). I have submitted her separation document and affidavit. I have written in LOE that I won't be applying for father-in-law as there is no contact for 30+ years so we don't know about his whereabouts even.

Earlier my mother-in-law has been granted a super visa and during the process, the agent did ask for an additional document for divorce/separation. We got the affidavit made, submitted and it worked

Hope it helps

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
A question:

Thanks!
Would suggest getting legal separation and the divorce. May take many years to get selected to sponsor a parent and processing can take years after that so you likely. Sponsorship isn’t actually guaranteed and so always good for to have a plan B. Have lots of time but would make her application much easier to process if she was formally divorced.

Reactions: YVR123