+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Legal process for losing PR status after long absence?

megaman

Jan 8, 2017
I am (was?) a PR wanting to return to Canada after a long time (more than 5 years) abroad in U.S. (where I am a citizen). What are the legal requirements on the part of the government to notify you about losing PR status? I know there is an appeal period, but at the start of that, are they required to give or send you a formal notification document? Or is a verbal statement that are in violation enough? The issue of my PR status may have come up briefly as a question on one of my many border crossings (I honestly don't remember), but I don't recall ever being given or being sent any kind of formal notification, or signing anything. So wondering what my chances are of still having PR status. I guess my next option would be to do a Verification of Status if I'm not sure?

Thanks!
K

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
megaman said:
I am (was?) a PR wanting to return to Canada after a long time (more than 5 years) abroad in U.S. (where I am a citizen). What are the legal requirements on the part of the government to notify you about losing PR status? I know there is an appeal period, but at the start of that, are they required to give or send you a formal notification document? Or is a verbal statement that are in violation enough? The issue of my PR status may have come up briefly as a question on one of my many border crossings (I honestly don't remember), but I don't recall ever being given or being sent any kind of formal notification, or signing anything. So wondering what my chances are of still having PR status. I guess my next option would be to do a Verification of Status if I'm not sure?

Thanks!
K
If you are formally reported by CBSA while entering Canada, they are supposed to give you a document that states this and tells how to appeal it. If you got nothing, odds are you just got a warning but weren't actually reported.