+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Legal name change - new citizenship certificate

CanadaSimple

Star Member
Apr 26, 2018
I have received my certificate for the legal name change and now I need to apply for a new passport. In order to get a passport, I need a new citizenship certificate (I got Canadian citizenship several years ago).
The instruction for this situation is not quite clear. Here they say "send us documents showing you legally changed your name" but the link leads to the outdated page with no instructions for this situation.

Basically, my question is do they need an original of the certificate of the name change (and if yes, will they send it back to me afterward?) or a copy/ certified true copy of it?
Also, do I have to enclose any other documents or just this plus application for the certificate of citizenship application (and fees)?
Do I have to send them back my current citizenship certificate?

visaforca

Star Member
May 25, 2014
Calgary
I have received my certificate for the legal name change and now I need to apply for a new passport. In order to get a passport, I need a new citizenship certificate (I got Canadian citizenship several years ago).
The instruction for this situation is not quite clear. Here they say "send us documents showing you legally changed your name" but the link leads to the outdated page with no instructions for this situation.

Basically, my question is do they need an original of the certificate of the name change (and if yes, will they send it back to me afterward?) or a copy/ certified true copy of it?
Also, do I have to enclose any other documents or just this plus application for the certificate of citizenship application (and fees)?
Do I have to send them back my current citizenship certificate?
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/application-citizenship-certificate-adults-minors.html

Reactions: CanadaSimple

visaforca

Star Member
May 25, 2014
Calgary
After legally changed your name:
1. change all your ID's (DL, Health Card, Sin etc)
2. Apply for Proof Of Citizenship ($75)
3. Follow checklist that also includes scenarios for what documents required. (see example below)
4. Processing time 5 months but due to Covid will take 12+ ( still working on Dec 2019 applications)

Yes, You have to send Original Citizenship certificate they will send you new certificate with new legal name on it.

I sent Citizenship Certificate: ORIGNAL
All other documents: Colored Copy

Required Additional Documents Identify the scenario below that best describes your situation and provide the supporting documents listed. Note: As set out in the Citizenship Act and the Citizenship Regulations, No. 2, we may ask you for further information or documents when processing your application.

EXAMPLE:
SCENARIO 1. You were previously issued a: • Canadian citizenship certificate, or • Canadian naturalization certificate (you were granted Canadian citizenship), or • Certificate of Registration of Birth Abroad (RBA), or • Certificate of Retention of Canadian Citizenship, or • British naturalization certificate issued in Canada or in Newfoundland and Labrador Please provide: all original citizenship/naturalization certificates (including any pink transmission copies), if applicable to you Original Scanned colour image your Registration of Birth Abroad certificate (RBA document, issued prior to February 15, 1977), if applicable to you Colour copy Scanned colour image your Retention of Canadian Citizenship certificate, if applicable to you Colour copy Scanned colour image

Last edited:

visaforca

Star Member
May 25, 2014
Calgary
My Timeline

After Legal name change
Application Sent Dec 18 2019
Application received Dec 20 2019
AOR Mar 3 2020
Update:
Requested for Normal to URGENT on Aug 24, 2020
Decision Made: Sept 1, 2020
also fixed my last name in ECAS
We sent your citizenship certificate on September 2, 2020 to: XXX, Calgary, Alberta, Canada. If your certificate was sent to a Canadian embassy, high commission or consulate, you will be contacted when it arrives. Mailing times will vary by region and could take up to four months. If we have sent your certificate to the wrong address, please contact us.

CanadaSimple

Star Member
Apr 26, 2018
visaforca, thank you! That is super helpful!
Do you know if I can use my passport (with the old name) while I am waiting for the new citizenship certificate (which is required to get the passport with the new name)?

visaforca

Star Member
May 25, 2014
Calgary
visaforca, thank you! That is super helpful!
Do you know if I can use my passport (with the old name) while I am waiting for the new citizenship certificate (which is required to get the passport with the new name)?
Mine was just name split so I used my canadian passport for overseas trips without issues.
Sometimes other countries authorities wants to double check your name with any local ID like DL etc so If major change in your name so they'll doubt on that.

Old Canadian ID Name:First name: , Last name: abc def xyz
New Name: First name: abc def, Last Name: XYZ
Old canadian Passport: First name: XXX and Last name: Abc def xyz
I don't have first name in canadian id's so they put whole name in last name and first name use XXX(like cross)

CanadaSimple

Star Member
Apr 26, 2018
Great, thank you. I just didn't want to get stuck with an invalidated old passport and no new one due to long processing times for certificate and passport

Reactions: visaforca

visaforca

Star Member
May 25, 2014
Calgary
Great, thank you. I just didn't want to get stuck with an invalidated old passport and no new one due to long processing times for certificate and passport
Your passport is still valid. But sometimes local auth have issues to figure it out. Always carry your name change certificate and proof of citizenship aor printed during travel.

CanadaSimple

Star Member
Apr 26, 2018
Someone asked, so I answer - to get a new passport you have to obtain a new citizenship certificate first.

Anastasik

Star Member
Jun 1, 2015
Toronto
Someone asked, so I answer - to get a new passport you have to obtain a new citizenship certificate first.
You actually don’t need to do it anymore. Look at #4 they changed it recently

Changing the name on your passport – adults
  1. Complete an adult application (PDF, 1.68 MB) form using the new name
  2. If it’s still valid, return your passport with your application when you submit it
  3. Provide supporting ID with your application that shows the name change
  4. Provide your proof of citizenship
  5. Provide a document that indicates one of the following:
    • you have a new last name because of a relationship change
    • you have a new name because of an adoption or legal name change”

Deep777

Oct 22, 2014
Hi ,
I applied for name change citizenship certificate in oct 2020 . So far i dont get any response. I called to cic they said file is not in the system. Ask from canada post. They said , they deliver the mail . But its still shown in transit . I dont know what to do . Any suggestions?

CanadaSimple

Star Member
Apr 26, 2018
Hi, Deep777
So it seems like the post lost your package? What type of package it was - regular registered mail or Xpresspost? And which address you used? I believe they have regular mail and courrier addresses

mumbaikar

Star Member
May 16, 2012
You actually don’t need to do it anymore. Look at #4 they changed it recently

Changing the name on your passport – adults
  1. Complete an adult application (PDF, 1.68 MB) form using the new name
  2. If it’s still valid, return your passport with your application when you submit it
  3. Provide supporting ID with your application that shows the name change
  4. Provide your proof of citizenship
  5. Provide a document that indicates one of the following:
    • you have a new last name because of a relationship change
    • you have a new name because of an adoption or legal name change”
Hi, did you update your name in the passport without changing your name in the citizenship certificate?

I am planning to legally change my name (in ON) immediately after getting the citizenship certificate (in the old name). Then apply for the passport with the name change certificate from ON and apply for the Canadian passport in the new name. In this way I may not need to apply for passport twice! Is this OK?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi, did you update your name in the passport without changing your name in the citizenship certificate?

I am planning to legally change my name (in ON) immediately after getting the citizenship certificate (in the old name). Then apply for the passport with the name change certificate from ON and apply for the Canadian passport in the new name. In this way I may not need to apply for passport twice! Is this OK?
Yes, this is correct, they will issue you a passport in new name based on citizenship docs in old name plus change of name docs.

Reactions: mumbaikar

mumbaikar

Star Member
May 16, 2012
Yes, this is correct, they will issue you a passport in new name based on citizenship docs in old name plus change of name docs.
Thank you so much. I will apply for the police clearance certificate immediately after the oath ceremony (so I will be ready to apply for the name change by the time the citizenship certificate arrives)