+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Legal name change...how long did it take for you?

trudeau

Mar 31, 2018
I need to apply for a legal name change (I want to just change my last name). I'm already a citizen, living in Ontario for the past several years. I was born outside Canada.

Anyone done this recently? I'm wondering what the expected timing would be - how many weeks did it take for you? I'm worried when I read about how long it's taking to process new passport applications, and wonder if this has an impact on the name change application as well...

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I need to apply for a legal name change (I want to just change my last name). I'm already a citizen, living in Ontario for the past several years. I was born outside Canada.

Anyone done this recently? I'm wondering what the expected timing would be - how many weeks did it take for you? I'm worried when I read about how long it's taking to process new passport applications, and wonder if this has an impact on the name change application as well...
I have not done but looked into it recently. Ontario website says 6-8 weeks, and I've not heard aything to say there are significant delays with this.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/change-name

Note, it's Ontario, so entirely unrelated to passport issues.

trudeau

Mar 31, 2018
Thanks. I called Service Ontario, and they confirmed that it will typically be ~8 weeks now (starting the week after they receive your application).

Reactions: armoured

iMayflower

Star Member
Feb 12, 2017
NOC Code......
7th week counting now since I dropped my application, and still credit card hasn't been charged :/