+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Legal name change approved. Now what?? What are all the other documents I need to update?

oasdu

Feb 16, 2018
I'm a citizen. I just had my legal name change application (Ontario) approved.

I'm trying to understand sequence / priority of key documents that I'd need to update.
  1. Driver's License and Health Card (Service Ontario) - this is the document I'd need to use to change my name in various other places
  2. Passport (Service Canada) - I understand I do not need to update my citizenship certificate
  3. Nexus
  4. Banks (in person)
  5. CRA
  6. Utilities
  7. Family doctor
  8. My company (HR department)
  9. Various online services (e.g. Google, Amazon, PayPal etc)
Am I missing something else? Can someone who has been through this process please let me know?

Is there a way to expedite issuance of updated driver's license and health card? I'm also concerned about how long it will take to issue/update my passport and Nexus, as I'll be traveling shortly.

Thanks

Aug 9, 2022
I see that you didn't mention any car related documents. And your insurance, personal/home/auto.

Also, your credit cards, if you have any. Your bank would likely ask you to submit documents to visa/mastercard separately.

May I ask
1. how long did it take for you to get approved?
2. Who is your guarantor? Did you ask a friend?
3. Who acted as the notary/commisioner? Did you get a free one with Service Ontario, or did you pay a lawyer?

spring4ward

Apr 19, 2021
I'm a citizen. I just had my legal name change application (Ontario) approved.

I'm trying to understand sequence / priority of key documents that I'd need to update.
  1. Driver's License and Health Card (Service Ontario) - this is the document I'd need to use to change my name in various other places
  2. Passport (Service Canada) - I understand I do not need to update my citizenship certificate
  3. Nexus
  4. Banks (in person)
  5. CRA
  6. Utilities
  7. Family doctor
  8. My company (HR department)
  9. Various online services (e.g. Google, Amazon, PayPal etc)
Am I missing something else? Can someone who has been through this process please let me know?

Is there a way to expedite issuance of updated driver's license and health card? I'm also concerned about how long it will take to issue/update my passport and Nexus, as I'll be traveling shortly.

Thanks

Hi, just wondering how it went through. For applying a new passport, did you have to wait for your new driver's license woth your new name or is the Ontario name change certificate sufficient? Thanks in advance.

spring4ward

Apr 19, 2021
you need to update SIN record with your new name
Yes I updated my SIN, but I have not yet applied for a new passport. I wanted to make sure if I have to wait for my new drivers license to arrive on mail or if Service Canada will accept my old drivers with Name Change certificate.