+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Legal Name and Nick Name

stellahello

Star Member
Aug 1, 2013
Hi all,

I have been using a nick name at work as my legal name is hard to pronounce. There is a field I need to indicate my nick name in the one of the application package. But I wonder if that may cause any delay or problem on my application. Is there any one ever has done this? Do I need to where I have been using the nick name or so? Would it be better to change my legal name to nick name before applying it? (I would chage my legal namt at some point..)

Please share your experience. Thank you!

Empirical-Scientist

Jun 4, 2012
According to the guide, Question 3C instruction reads:

"Write if you:
- have used another name in the past (such as your birth name, maiden name, married name), or
- are known by a name other than the one you listed above (such as a nickname or community name).
"

You should write that name instead of leaving it empty even if it were to delay your application (which I highly doubt). Bottom line: do NOT hide information from CIC.

Lorris

Star Member
Jan 25, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
stellahello said:
Hi all,

I have been using a nick name at work as my legal name is hard to pronounce. There is a field I need to indicate my nick name in the one of the application package. But I wonder if that may cause any delay or problem on my application. Is there any one ever has done this? Do I need to where I have been using the nick name or so? Would it be better to change my legal name to nick name before applying it? (I would chage my legal namt at some point..)

Please share your experience. Thank you!
You really should indicate it on your app. I did the same thing on mine. Got RQ'ed, but there is no evidence it was caused by the nickname. In fact, I am pretty sure it wasn't. There is nothing wrong with using a nickname in a daily life. In my case, even my employment records have both legal name and the nickname (in parenthesis).

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
I have a slightly different question.

if ALL my official records indicate my FULL NAME but I have a shortened form of my first name that only people call me by or use in email - but as mentioned ALL my official records have only my FULL NAME (not the shortened first name + Last Name)

then I would logically fill N/A in the nicknames field

correct ?

pedros

Star Member
Oct 18, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
us2yow said:
I have a slightly different question.

if ALL my official records indicate my FULL NAME but I have a shortened form of my first name that only people call me by or use in email - but as mentioned ALL my official records have only my FULL NAME (not the shortened first name + Last Name)

then I would logically fill N/A in the nicknames field

correct ?
I would say include the nickname as you are effectively "known by another name" (from the requirements of question 3C as posted by Empirical-Scientist). I had a sort of similar situation as my full given name ONLY appears on my birth certificate, which I am not submitting to CIC. My shortened name has appeared on ALL official documents for 30+ years. I called CIC and in the end went with indicating the full given name in 3C and put N/A in the last name field as that has always been the same.

I also clarified the details in a cover note. I think you could do the same, by just including what you put in your post as an explanation in a cover note.

HTH.

nEVERgiveUP751

Star Member
Jan 2, 2016
Vancouver
Lorris said:
You really should indicate it on your app. I did the same thing on mine. Got RQ'ed, but there is no evidence it was caused by the nickname. In fact, I am pretty sure it wasn't. There is nothing wrong with using a nickname in a daily life. In my case, even my employment records have both legal name and the nickname (in parenthesis).
what do you mean by "Got RQ'ed"

Rigly68

Apr 16, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nEVERgiveUP751 said:
what do you mean by "Got RQ'ed"
RQ = residence questionnaire. The poster received a residence questionnaire.

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
Did you guys also submit a 'one an the same name' affidavit?

jasca

Jan 30, 2017
Thank you guys for the thread.

Given I listed my nickname i now have to submit a 'legal' document indicating this, i dont have a legal document so do I just write a letter to explain?
Thank you all!

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
You guys are way overthinking this.. All they want is your name as in passport and official documents. And where it says "nickname" or "known by a name other" just write whatever it is (John Boy, Fatso, Slim, Jimbo, Dumbo) you get the idea..