+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Left Canada when a minor

darl500

Jul 3, 2018
Hello all,

My spouse and my daughter entered Canada as PR in 2002 along with me and stayed on for 3 weeks. We received our PR cards then. We returned back in 2003 and stayed in Canada for around 5 months and then left Canada to our home country and did not return since. I continued my work in my home country. My spouse (house wife) and daughter (minor) are dependents. Our PR cards validity has expired and we do not meet the RO days.

Following are my queries:

1. My daughter will be 18 years next year. She wants to return back to Canada and continue her studies in a Canadian University in 2019. Can she apply for a PRTD on H&C grounds since she was a minor when she left Canada. Is there a chance that they gets a favourable response for the PRTD?
2. What is the validity of the PRTD (incase she gets it) before which she needs to enter Canada?
3. My spouse being a home maker is not working and is dependant. Can she too apply for a PRTD based on the reason that she had to be with my daughter and me since she was a dependent? Is there any chance for her request for PRTD to be accepted on these grounds?

Awaiting your responses and suggestions based on your experience.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello all,

My spouse and my daughter entered Canada as PR in 2002 along with me and stayed on for 3 weeks. We received our PR cards then. We returned back in 2003 and stayed in Canada for around 5 months and then left Canada to our home country and did not return since. I continued my work in my home country. My spouse (house wife) and daughter (minor) are dependents. Our PR cards validity has expired and we do not meet the RO days.

1. My daughter will be 18 years next year. She wants to return back to Canada and continue her studies in a Canadian University in 2019. Can she apply for a PRTD on H&C grounds since she was a minor when she left Canada. Is there a chance that they gets a favourable response for the PRTD?
2. What is the validity of the PRTD (incase she gets it) before which she needs to enter Canada?
3. My spouse being a home maker is not working and is dependant. Can she too apply for a PRTD based on the reason that she had to be with my daughter and me since she was a dependent? Is there any chance for her request for PRTD to be accepted on these grounds?

1. Yes - she can apply and there is a very high chance of approval.
2. Typically six months.
3. Extremely low to no chance of approval. This is not grounds for H&C. She made a choice to live outside of Canada.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Canada assumes that if a young adult is able to make the decision to study abroad that they are mature enough to relocate without their parent(s).

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Canada assumes that if a young adult is able to make the decision to study abroad that they are mature enough to relocate without their parent(s).
Actually once somebody is 18 he or she is regarded to be adult. That means to do the alone standing decisions and to relocate to the other country.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Actually once somebody is 18 he or she is regarded to be adult. That means to do the alone standing decisions and to relocate to the other country.
Some International students that I've met are 17 even a few 16 year olds so that's why I used young adult. Canadian philosophy when you leave for school you are an "adult".

darl500

Jul 3, 2018
Can anyone please help with an application letter template for H&C grounds based on the above mentioned case (removed as a minor) to be submitted along with the PRTD application? Appreciate your time and support.

jesh08

Jul 19, 2018
@darl500 i have same problem with my son like you if you have some information about getting prtd for minor who enter 18 please share with me

Confusedsouls

Jul 2, 2018
Apologies, can I please post some queries relevant to this thread:

I did a short landing about 2 years back but still undecided on whether I need to relocate to Canada. While I am okay to not relocate, I would like my child to have an option to come back to Canada. My child is currently 4 years old. Could things change drastically that by the time my child turns 18, Canada may no longer admit on H&C grounds.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Apologies, can I please post some queries relevant to this thread:

I did a short landing about 2 years back but still undecided on whether I need to relocate to Canada. While I am okay to not relocate, I would like my child to have an option to come back to Canada. My child is currently 4 years old. Could things change drastically that by the time my child turns 18, Canada may no longer admit on H&C grounds.
That of course is an impossible question to answer what could happen in 14 years possibly even through multiple changes in government. Given you only so far have spent 2 weeks in Canada so not really made much of an attempt to give Canada a chance then as far as H&C goes that might not be considered a positive even with playing the removed as a minor option no way to predict. Although only a personal opinion I could see IRCC looking more favourably if a family had given Canada a chance of a few years and then left with the children, but a couple of weeks not so sure.

jignesh72

Sep 28, 2017
Hello all,

I have similar case. Give me your mail add. Mine is jigneshshah72@rediffmail.com

jesh08

Jul 19, 2018
My son will be 17 years next year. HE wants to return back to Canada . Can apply for a PRTD on H&C grounds since he was a minor when she left Canada. Is there a chance that they gets a favourable response for the PRTD?OR He will try land border to enter canada

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
My son will be 17 years next year. HE wants to return back to Canada . Can apply for a PRTD on H&C grounds since he was a minor when she left Canada. Is there a chance that they gets a favourable response for the PRTD?OR He will try land border to enter canada
So assuming your son applies and is successful what is the planned next step, to study in university/college ? Obviously no way to predict success or not although current age at application time could be a positive it will really depend on how convincing the case is that PR status should be retained and plans for future