+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Left Canada before visitor extension decision - do we need to withdraw?

YYC787

Star Member
Sep 4, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-Sep-2014
AOR Received.
19-Nov-2014
File Transfer...
In Process since 12-Aug-2015
Med's Request
Sent 18-Sep-2015...never received. Re-sent 17-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
July 2014; Remeds done Dec 2015
Interview........
WAIVED acc to GCMS notes
Passport Req..
20-Apr-2016
VISA ISSUED...
Passport sent; waiting...
Hey all,

I did a brief search, but didn't find an answer.

My wife's 6 month visit expired on Dec 1, but we submitted a request for a visit extension before then, so she's been here on implied status.

She just left Canada to return to India. Her PR application is almost complete (medicals re-done late December...CIC told me that everything else was done), so we're just waiting for the final decision, which we hope should come very soon.

Do we need to send a letter to CIC and withdraw her visit extension?

I know that if her PR is approved, they'll just cancel the extension application. But as of right now, the PR is not 100% done, and I expect them to start looking at the extension application pretty soon.

If the PR doesn't come in about a month, she plans to come back to Canada on her TRV again, to wait for the PR decision here. Her TRV is still valid for a few more years.

Do I need to tell them that she's left Canada already?

What am I supposed to do here? Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks!!

floomy

Dec 17, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
she left Canada already, then you can call CIC and cancel her app.

when she re-enters Canada , she will receive a 6 month or a year at POE. (become new visitor again )

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=741&top=23

ayrazar

Jul 2, 2015
I didn't even think about this being a thing.

We had a visitor extension app in, husband left Canada and re-entered. Do we need to cancel ours?

YYC787

Star Member
Sep 4, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-Sep-2014
AOR Received.
19-Nov-2014
File Transfer...
In Process since 12-Aug-2015
Med's Request
Sent 18-Sep-2015...never received. Re-sent 17-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
July 2014; Remeds done Dec 2015
Interview........
WAIVED acc to GCMS notes
Passport Req..
20-Apr-2016
VISA ISSUED...
Passport sent; waiting...
ayrazar said:
I didn't even think about this being a thing.

We had a visitor extension app in, husband left Canada and re-entered. Do we need to cancel ours?
I called CIC today to ask them this question.

The agent said no, don't withdraw it, because that application is what gave her legal status in Canada after that 6 month visit expired, which actually makes sense.

If she wants to re-enter Canada, then it's a completely new visit, so it doesn't matter. The passports stamps would prove that, and that application serves as proof that she was in Canada legally beyond that expiry date.

ayrazar

Jul 2, 2015
YYC787 said:
I called CIC today to ask them this question.

The agent said no, don't withdraw it, because that application is what gave her legal status in Canada after that 6 month visit expired, which actually makes sense.

If she wants to re-enter Canada, then it's a completely new visit, so it doesn't matter. The passports stamps would prove that, and that application serves as proof that she was in Canada legally beyond that expiry date.
Okay. For me, he did re-enter Canada without any incident. So did that just auto-cancel the old extension?

Cloopz

Jan 22, 2016
ayrazar said:
Okay. For me, he did re-enter Canada without any incident. So did that just auto-cancel the old extension?
Depends what visa he was under. If he was under implied status. Then yes, it has been auto-cancelled the minute he left the country. IF he has a multiple re-entry visa then he should be fine.

ayrazar

Jul 2, 2015
Cloopz said:
Depends what visa he was under. If he was under implied status. Then yes, it has been auto-cancelled the minute he left the country. IF he has a multiple re-entry visa then he should be fine.
He was on implied status. We had a VR until Jan 4th, applied end of December to extend status, he was on implied til we left, then he came back in.

bradybunchmom

Star Member
Aug 25, 2015
Calgary, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-11-2015
AOR Received.
24-12-2015
File Transfer...
13-01-2016
Med's Done....
16-10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
11-04-2016
I was told here on another thread that it would still be processed if I left. However after reading this I believe that may not be the case. I applied for an extension yesterday for myself and 4 kids. It cost $500. However we are leaving tomorrow for a week because we need to reenter to get my son his study permit. However Alberta Health told us we had to apply for the extension to continue receiving benefits. Alberta Health will not continue coverage with another reentry stamp. Not sure if this makes sense.
1. We applied for extensions for alberta health.
2. We are leaving to get study permit activated.

Did I just waste $500? :-[

floomy

Dec 17, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
not sure if they auto -cancel your app for renewal for visitor visa.

I asked CIC before, they do not track ppl who left Canada.
so if you leave Canada after applied for visitor visa renewal app, CIC still would process your file .

ayrazar

Jul 2, 2015
floomy said:
not sure if they auto -cancel your app for renewal for visitor visa.

I asked CIC before, they do not track ppl who left Canada.
so if you leave Canada after applied for visitor visa renewal app, CIC still would process your file .
But what about when you come back in? They notice that.