+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Left Canada as a minor, want to return

Canada22000

Oct 27, 2019
Honestly I suspect, that you as many others are trying to find a spot in a western country and it might have been that you have realized, that for whatever reason Australia will not be as easy to immigrate as you thought anymore.
I'd like you to know that I'm in Sydney to study and not to live here permanently. My options to stay in Australia is not too hard if I decide I want to later on.

The reason I'm looking to go back to Canada is because I was removed as a minor at a very young age and most of my extended family resides there as citizens. Not sure what you're on about but I'm not someone "trying to find a spot in a western country."

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'd like you to know that I'm in Sydney to study and not to live here permanently. My options to stay in Australia is not too hard if I decide I want to later on.

The reason I'm looking to go back to Canada is because I was removed as a minor at a very young age and most of my extended family resides there as citizens. Not sure what you're on about but I'm not someone "trying to find a spot in a western country."
Plenty people have families or even close friends in different countries (Canada, USA, Australia, UK, France or Germany). And they might have spent even more time in those countries during their repeated visits of that family / friends than you ever have in your life in Canada. Sadly they do not have an option for just staying few months in Kindergarten there.
Removed as minor - is your scapegoat and a reason you think you can return easily. It is not a genuine reason you want to return because you care about that country.
If it was the case you would already be here the moment you have turned 18. Instead of that you went to Australia with a free choice of an adult, demonstrating where your priorities lies.
Now that Australia is getting harder to get in, Canada suddenly became more appealing.
https://www.sbs.com.au/language/english/tough-to-get-permanent-residency-as-australia-s-migrant-intake-falls-to-decade-low

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
The reason I'm looking to go back to Canada is because I was removed as a minor at a very young age and most of my extended family resides there as citizens.
Cutting through some smoke; to be clear: You still have a very good chance of saving Canadian PR status if you come to Canada to STAY soon. No guarantee, but you are still within an age range for which such relief is usually allowed. That said, the fact it has been 15 years since you were last in Canada, in conjunction with how short your stay in Canada was in 2004, are factors which elevate the risk of a negative decision. Remember, even if you are Reported, however, you can appeal. And if you stay in Canada pending the appeal, showing that you have established long term in fact residence in Canada, that in conjunction with the removed-as-a-minor factor puts a good deal of weight on the positive side of the scales.

And again, the longer you wait to come, the bigger the risk you will get a negative decision upfront (in PR TD application or upon examination upon arrival at a PoE), and the lower your chances of a successful appeal. But the fact the delay is due to completing studies should help . . . not a factor which will for sure save your PR, but it should be a positive factor that helps at least some.

There is NO WAY to KNOW in advance how it will go. Whether to gamble depends a great deal ON YOUR OWN PRIORITIES. How much do you want to live your life in Canada? How important, FOR YOU, is keeping Canadian PR status?

Canada22000

Oct 27, 2019
That said, the fact it has been 15 years since you were last in Canada, in conjunction with how short your stay in Canada was in 2004, are factors which elevate the risk of a negative decision. Remember, even if you are Reported, however, you can appeal. And if you stay in Canada pending the appeal, showing that you have established long term in fact residence in Canada, that in conjunction with the removed-as-a-minor factor puts a good deal of weight on the positive side of the scales.
Totally understand what you mean. How long is the period before the appeal? Is it a few weeks or months generally?

But the fact the delay is due to completing studies should help . . . not a factor which will for sure save your PR, but it should be a positive factor that helps at least some.
I will make my decision in a few months and decide how I'm planning to go about this. Thank you @dpenabill for the advice.