+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Left Canada as a minor. Want to renew PR

rican21

Oct 25, 2020
Hello,

I went to Canada as a PR in October 2010 at the age of 11 with my mother, and younger sister. My father had preceded us in May the same year. We had planned to settle in Canada and got our SIN and health cards issued. I was even enrolled in a public school.

However, things were difficult at the time owing to the economic recession and two months after our arrival my father was compelled to send us back to our home country. He decided to stay back in Canada for some more time, as he was working. Although, he too had to return a month later.

My PRC expired in 2015 and I am 21 years old now. I always had a strong desire to return and settle down in Canada and would like to apply for a PRTD on H&C grounds since I was removed as a minor.

For me this is the earliest I could apply, because I was not yet 18 when I enrolled in degree college. Since my parents couldn’t sponsor my education in Canada, I had to complete my college here. I also learnt French up to B1 level. Now I have just completed my graduation and wish to study further and settle in Canada.

Please, I would like to know:

1) If it would help if I mention in my application that I had been to a Canadian school?

2) If getting a scholarship to a Canadian college or mentioning my academic interests help?

3) If there is anything else I can mention in my application that would help getting a PRTD?

Awaiting your responses.

Thanks in advance!

BOYX

May 5, 2017
Toronto, ON
Every year after the age of 18 makes your cases weaker and weaker - you have had 3 years to come into Canada. The premise of your H&C case, as I am sure you are aware, is that you were a minor and were not allowed/able to enter Canada for reasons beyond your control. However, once you became an adult, you are able and willing to do so. Yet you did not attempt to enter Canada at that time. Therefore, you would need to explain thoroughly why it has taken you 3 years to make such a decision; in order to maintain continuity in your argument, it would be important to argue that you were unable to make this decision due to factors out of your control. Lacking funds for education may not be a strong enough argument due to the widespread accessibility of provincial grants. Had you tried to apply for these grants or attempted at financing your education through other means, and yet found it unfeasible to finance, your argument would have had some substance. However, from what you have said, I presume this is not the case.

I want to clarify that I do not say this to discourage you; in fact, I believe you should definitely try and argue your case but it is wise to know the type of issues you are up against. With that in mind, I strongly believe enlisting aid from a Lawyer will help enormously. Your case is quite hairy and expertise will greatly improve your odds. You should have some consultations with different lawyers to see the feasibility of your case. Further, I do not think it is wise to apply for a PRTD - lawyers will caution you the same since your odds of success diminish significantly. By applying for a PRTD, you are taking away the human element which is vital in H&C cases. Since your case is already lacking, you will need everything to increase your odds. Entry by land would be the best alternative.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

I went to Canada as a PR in October 2010 at the age of 11 with my mother, and younger sister. My father had preceded us in May the same year. We had planned to settle in Canada and got our SIN and health cards issued. I was even enrolled in a public school.

However, things were difficult at the time owing to the economic recession and two months after our arrival my father was compelled to send us back to our home country. He decided to stay back in Canada for some more time, as he was working. Although, he too had to return a month later.

My PRC expired in 2015 and I am 21 years old now. I always had a strong desire to return and settle down in Canada and would like to apply for a PRTD on H&C grounds since I was removed as a minor.

For me this is the earliest I could apply, because I was not yet 18 when I enrolled in degree college. Since my parents couldn’t sponsor my education in Canada, I had to complete my college here. I also learnt French up to B1 level. Now I have just completed my graduation and wish to study further and settle in Canada.

Please, I would like to know:

1) If it would help if I mention in my application that I had been to a Canadian school?

2) If getting a scholarship to a Canadian college or mentioning my academic interests help?

3) If there is anything else I can mention in my application that would help getting a PRTD?

Awaiting your responses.

Thanks in advance!
These days IRCC seems to be increasingly focused on how established your family was in Canada before you left. Even if you make the "my parents removed me as a minor" argument, IRCC still seems to want to see that your family lived in Canada and created ties to Canada before you left. I would definitely place focus on the fact that you attended a Canadian school before you left and returned to your home country. If there is anything else you can show that demonstrates establishing ties in Canada (e.g. your after school activities, parents employment, property purchase, bank accounts / investments), I would include those as well. Good luck. Apply as soon as you can and definitely do not wait until you are 22. Agreed with the above person that you have waited long enough already.

Reactions: rican21

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Just to note: applying for a PRTD may be the only feasible route, unless the poster can get to the USA and cross at a land border.

Either way, don't tarry.

rican21

Oct 25, 2020
Thank you all for your responses. I will apply as soon as possible. Also, would I need a valid PR card to apply for scholarship to a Canadian university?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you all for your responses. I will apply as soon as possible. Also, would I need a valid PR card to apply for scholarship to a Canadian university?
It depends on the school. Some schools will ask for proof of valid status (not just for scholarships but to confirm you're a domestic student).

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you don’t have a SIN or health card and try to enter via the US border you will need to realize that you won’t be able to work for 2-3 years and likely won’t have health coverage. Without a valid PR card you may also be required to pay international fees. It will depend on the school. Many of the scholarships require you to be a domestic student

BOYX

May 5, 2017
Toronto, ON
It may depend on the school as mentioned above, however, I can speak for UofT: they only required the CoPR/Landing Paper and were very flexible in what proof one could provide.

Reactions: rican21 and scylla

rican21

Oct 25, 2020
If you don’t have a SIN or health card and try to enter via the US border you will need to realize that you won’t be able to work for 2-3 years and likely won’t have health coverage. Without a valid PR card you may also be required to pay international fees. It will depend on the school. Many of the scholarships require you to be a domestic student
Thank you for your reply. I have a SIN and health card. I will consider both options.