+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leaving the country while waiting for PR

LLB

Apr 17, 2021
Hello!

First post on this thread. My partner and I applied inland for family class PR last August 2020. He is from the UK.
He’s wants to go home for a month in June but we still haven’t had his OWP approved yet. Can our application be denied if he leaves the country? Also - is it normal for an OWP to take this long?

This is our timeline
August 16th 2020 - submitted PR
September 25 2020 - application has been received
March 18th 2021 - application processing
March 24th 2021 - asked biometrics

Thank you!

lynnklee

May 9, 2020
gotta be careful when leaving during the process.

if he leaves and isn't allowed back, his application will be considered abandoned.

my husband hasn't been home since Sept 2019, and I know how badly he wants to see his family but with covid constantly changing, there's no telling if the borders will close again. if you applied for owp, best you can do is wait for it unless you're willing to risk him not being able to come back.

even if you're hopeful he'll be allowed to enter, I wouldn't make the trip longer than a couple weeks. that's my advice

Knowledge14

Dec 3, 2019
It should be okay as long as you can come back to Canada. The owp isn’t even a travel document. A uk spouse has travel exemption and is visa free

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello!

First post on this thread. My partner and I applied inland for family class PR last August 2020. He is from the UK.
He’s wants to go home for a month in June but we still haven’t had his OWP approved yet. Can our application be denied if he leaves the country? Also - is it normal for an OWP to take this long?

This is our timeline
August 16th 2020 - submitted PR
September 25 2020 - application has been received
March 18th 2021 - application processing
March 24th 2021 - asked biometrics

Thank you!
As indicated you must remain in Canada during the sponsorship process. A short vacation seems to be overlooked but would discourage leaving for a month.