+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leaving the country after applying for citizenship

Fadiaasber

Nov 6, 2017
Hi there,

I am applying for citizenship in January 2018. However, I have to leave Canada after I submitted my application to go home and finish up my retirement papers. Will I be able to do that or will I have to wait until I get my citizenship in order for me to leave and go home?

Thank you in advance.

CanadianPlease

Jun 6, 2017
Yes, you will OK as long as you keep your residency requirement.I have been in and out of the country during my application several times and so far all is good just waiting for my oath.

Sohmisaly

Star Member
Oct 7, 2017
Yes, you will OK as long as you keep your residency requirement.I have been in and out of the country during my application several times and so far all is good just waiting for my oath.
How to update IRCC, when you are going out for more than 2 weeks?

day2day

Jun 7, 2017
During the application process, did you change your home address and mailing address on the IRCC website to outside Canada? Thanks

Stef.

Apr 5, 2017
During the application process, did you change your home address and mailing address on the IRCC website to outside Canada? Thanks
Why would you do this? Are you giving up your place in Canada or are you just traveling? If you are just traveling make sure somebody checks your mail and you your email. I have never received anything per mail though, exclusively email.
If you want to make sure that they do not schedule a test/oath while you are abroad, you can contact them via this Weblink:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/contacts/web-form.asp
Beware though it might take weeks for them to acknowledge you message, but it worked for me.

day2day

Jun 7, 2017
Why would you do this? Are you giving up your place in Canada or are you just traveling? If you are just traveling make sure somebody checks your mail and you your email. I have never received anything per mail though, exclusively email.
If you want to make sure that they do not schedule a test/oath while you are abroad, you can contact them via this Weblink:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/contacts/web-form.asp
Beware though it might take weeks for them to acknowledge you message, but it worked for me.

If you leave your place in Canada and move to another country, you need to change your home address in their website but your mailing address should be somewhere in Canada as they only send correspondences to the addresses in Canada, right? Will this have an impact on your application?

salimnw

Sep 1, 2014
Toronto, ON
Category........
PNP
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
Ontario PNP
Med's Request
30th April 2014
Med's Done....
5th May 2014
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
3rd Feb 2015
VISA ISSUED...
13th Feb 2015
LANDED..........
Inland since 2011
Hello there,
Can you please give us an idea as to how long it takes from APPLICATION IN PROCESS TO RECEIVING THE TEST DATE?

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Hello there,
Can you please give us an idea as to how long it takes from APPLICATION IN PROCESS TO RECEIVING THE TEST DATE?
Given how recent the latest changes are, this question is impossible to answer.

Reactions: salimnw

Stef.

Apr 5, 2017
If you leave your place in Canada and move to another country, you need to change your home address in their website but your mailing address should be somewhere in Canada as they only send correspondences to the addresses in Canada, right? Will this have an impact on your application?
I have no idea whether this has an impact or not. According to the new rules there is no intent to reside. I am sure somebody with more experience will be able to answer your question.

richardlin

Star Member
May 14, 2014
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
Aug 14, 2016
AOR Received.
Sep 9, 2016
File Transfer...
Sep 16, 2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Sep 28, 2016 (Passed)
Interview........
No (Jan 11, 2017 Decision Made on ECAS)
Passport Req..
Jan 24, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Feb 1, 2017
LANDED..........
Feb 5, 2017
I have no idea whether this has an impact or not. According to the new rules there is no intent to reside. I am sure somebody with more experience will be able to answer your question.
I am just hoping someone will be able to give some insights on this matter.

Thank you.