+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leaving Canada with unpaid debt (approx. 20,000).. Please Help

tultull

Jul 9, 2014
I am an international student and living in canada over 6 years. Unfortunately my Student permit has refused and i was asked to leave Canada. I am planning on re-applying from my country but i have to leave now. I owe 20,000 dollar to 7 different credit card companies in Canada and I don't have any assets and don't have any saving to pay the debts. I seek your advice if this would affect my Visa when i re-apply or chances of being arrest in the boarder. Collectoin agency have been sending me notice and i don't know what to do.. i don't have any money to pay off. I was unemployed and was dealing with Study permit problem.

Any Advice pls

Garfieldyo

Star Member
Jul 1, 2014
When you go back to your country, the high commission will ask you for a police certificate from canada and all countries where you lived for more than 6 months. Canada will give you a very nice PCC if you owe them money :p and this very nice PCC will affect your study permit chances.
Don't leave on bad terms. Borrow money and pay off your debts.

tultull

Jul 9, 2014
Thank you for your advise. But i wish i could pay. However, I am leaving on 27th of July and i have requested for a police Clearance Certificate yesterday. I hope that PCC won't state anything like that right now.

Garfieldyo

Star Member
Jul 1, 2014
PCC will not be accepted if you apply after 3 months of issuance. You must provide a PCC that is issued not more than 3 months to the date of your application. They can request a more recent one if they want to. moreover when you include your UCI number your sin number and all the stuff related to your prior visit will show up whether its stated in the PCC or not.

Reactions: hassaananjum

daulatkhan

Star Member
Jun 27, 2014
London
Category........
Visa Office......
Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18/07/2014
Med's Done....
Up front
VISA ISSUED...
On its way
LANDED..........
Very soon
It will just effect your credit history its not a criminal offence you will get clear pcc thats your personal matter it has nothing to do with cic

raju12w

Star Member
Jun 30, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
29-08-2012
I wish you all the best

Also, I owe 1000 dollars to my bank which hasn't been paid since last year when my SIN was not issued

Has my credit history affected or not because they did not have my SIN number at that time (and even now)?

Thank you!

minaz31

Star Member
Jan 11, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
tultull said:
I am an international student and living in canada over 6 years. Unfortunately my Student permit has refused and i was asked to leave Canada. I am planning on re-applying from my country but i have to leave now. I owe 20,000 dollar to 7 different credit card companies in Canada and I don't have any assets and don't have any saving to pay the debts. I seek your advice if this would affect my Visa when i re-apply or chances of being arrest in the boarder. Collectoin agency have been sending me notice and i don't know what to do.. i don't have any money to pay off. I was unemployed and was dealing with Study permit problem.

Any Advice pls
Credit card debt is a civil matter, not a criminal offense. Border people has nothing to do with it. Collection companies will keep on sending you the mails, and finally after some months/years they will give you a lumsum amount to settle it. Dont worry, many people are in debt from credit card. Relax.

minaz31

Star Member
Jan 11, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
raju12w said:
I wish you all the best

Also, I owe 1000 dollars to my bank which hasn't been paid since last year when my SIN was not issued

Has my credit history affected or not because they did not have my SIN number at that time (and even now)?

Thank you!
Yes it will affect your credit history, they have your other details.

raju12w

Star Member
Jun 30, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
29-08-2012
I feel relieved now :)

Thank you minaz!

tultull

Jul 9, 2014
My study permit been refused due to taking courses on distance. I was not called for an interview and not given a chance to express my opinion. I really don't know what to do. I thought i would go for judicial review but don't know the pros and cons and it would cost me a lot of money. I am planning to re-apply from back home and i don't know if the visa officer in back home would be kind enough to give me visa.

Please advise me what should i do now? i am heart broken .. living in canada for 6 years and ended up getting refused when i am two semesters away from graduation.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
tultull said:
My study permit been refused due to taking courses on distance. I was not called for an interview and not given a chance to express my opinion. I really don't know what to do. I thought i would go for judicial review but don't know the pros and cons and it would cost me a lot of money. I am planning to re-apply from back home and i don't know if the visa officer in back home would be kind enough to give me visa.

Please advise me what should i do now? i am heart broken .. living in canada for 6 years and ended up getting refused when i am two semesters away from graduation.
Why would they have called you for an interview to "express your opinion"? CIC is very clear that distance learning doesn't qualify for a study permit; they can't make an exception to the law just for you. Add the fact that you stated here that you have $20 000 in credit card debt and in your other thread that you needed to leave Newfoundland because you didn't have a job and it was too expensive; this clearly shows that you can't actually afford to study in Canada, which is another valid reason to refuse your study permit.

A judicial review would be a pointless waste of money. You were rightly refused according to the laws.

As you were advised in your other thread, leave Canada, finish your course online and apply for a TRV to return for your exams.

dannyking149

Jul 11, 2014
Hey Canuck_in_uk!!

What would you suggest I do in this situation? Thanks.

Before the expiration of my study permit, I applied online for a renewal around march 11th. During the application, I was told to provide an original letter of acceptance which I provided. On May 15th, I got a new message saying that my study permit had been refused because I had not provided an original letter of acceptance. I was confused by this, and called cic and was told the letter of acceptance I sent was never received. However, it was clearly shown that the letter online was submitted to cic. In the refusal letter, I was told that my temporary residence status expired on May 15th 2014 and I had 90 day to apply for restoration. I applied for restoration on june 27th explaining the circumstances that led to my refusal and provided every document possible to back up my claim. On july 10th, I was shocked when my application for restoration was refused. the reason they gave was this: " you are a person in canada without temporary residence status who is not eligible for restoration under section 182 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulation." I was really confused by this as I wasn't sure what this was based on. I am still a student at the university of manitoba but I haven't worked or taken any classes since I lost status.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
dannyking149 said:
Before the expiration of my study permit, I applied online for a renewal around march 11th. During the application, I was told to provide an original letter of acceptance which I provided. On May 15th, I got a new message saying that my study permit had been refused because I had not provided an original letter of acceptance. I was confused by this, and called cic and was told the letter of acceptance I sent was never received. However, it was clearly shown that the letter online was submitted to cic. In the refusal letter, I was told that my temporary residence status expired on May 15th 2014 and I had 90 day to apply for restoration. I applied for restoration on june 27th explaining the circumstances that led to my refusal and provided every document possible to back up my claim. On july 10th, I was shocked when my application for restoration was refused. the reason they gave was this: " you are a person in canada without temporary residence status who is not eligible for restoration under section 182 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulation." I was really confused by this as I wasn't sure what this was based on. I am still a student at the university of manitoba but I haven't worked or taken any classes since I lost status.
I'm sorry, I'm not too sure what you can do beyond paying thousands and thousands of dollars for a judicial review. It is very unfair that they refused your initial app because of their mistake. I've heard that some MPs (Members of Parliament) will help temporary residents with CIC issues, so you could head into their office and see if they will inquire for you.

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

dannyking149 said:
Hey Canuck_in_uk!!

What would you suggest I do in this situation? Thanks.

University generally issue 2 types of LOA;

1. Registration letter: a simple 1 page letter stating that you are registered as a full time student, course name etc. You get it to prove your status as a student.
2. Registration letter + SP Information: 2 page letter, including a letter of registration + detailed study permit information that cover all relevant information CIC need.

For SP renewal, one must submit the second one.