+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leaving canada with an expired PR card?

Preina

Feb 16, 2018
how can I track my PR status? what is the phone number that people can call, I did send my application to Sidney this month

heeradeepak

Jun 1, 2014
so u mean that the border in the US by car will leave to go through without a valid PR?
Yes if you have not violated the residency requirements and you have US visa then no issue, by land border you can come back by own or rented car.

I did same in 2014 and had no issue

Preina

Feb 16, 2018
Than you guys for your answer, I remembe the border officer always ask for a PR, they can see that it is expired. Would be this ok for them?.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Than you guys for your answer, I remembe the border officer always ask for a PR, they can see that it is expired. Would be this ok for them?.
They will just ask you additional questions (such as: did you apply for renew) and let you through if satisfied. My wife did that five days ago!

Reactions: Preina

arkaysy

May 1, 2018
Sorry if it gets repetitive, I just want to make sure I understand everything from the previous replies.

Here's my situation. My friend has an expired PR card but already have the renewal process rolling. We are planning to go to Minneapolis on May 19 - May 21 (Victoria Day long weekend).

1. From what I've read, she can cross the border with an expired PR as long as she has her Philippine passport + US Visa, is this correct?
2. Will she be able to come back to Canada, crossing the border in a private vehicle, with 0% chance of being rejected or penalize?
3. Is there a hotline number where we could call and confirm if the information is true?

Thank you!

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
  1. Yes
  2. Yes, she can enter Canada by car, unless she is some sort of criminal mastermind or international terrorist. Take the receipt for the PR renewal with her. Make sure she meet residency obligation as well.....she could be reported if she doesn’t.
  3. You could call the IRCC number, but they aren’t particularly good at giving out accurate information. Members here are significantly more knowledgeable.

Reactions: arkaysy

arkaysy

May 1, 2018
  1. Yes
  2. Yes, she can enter Canada by car, unless she is some sort of criminal mastermind or international terrorist. Take the receipt for the PR renewal with her. Make sure she meet residency obligation as well.....she could be reported if she doesn’t.
  3. You could call the IRCC number, but they aren’t particularly good at giving out accurate information. Members here are significantly more knowledgeable.
Thank you for the quick reply!
I do believe she has been here for almost 10 years and the only time she's been out of the country are when she's travelling for a vacation which are a week to a month, max. So I think that covers the residency obligation.

Again, thank you for taking the time to help out!

Preina

Feb 16, 2018
Let us know on May about your friend, if she would able to cross please, I think is gonna be ok, One time I forgot my PR card and the officer let me to cross without any problem. I'm out of Canada,
I'm going to cross at the end of May by car because I am waiting for my PR renewal. I did send application on Feb 7th, I got an email on April 25th from CIC and they received the documents on Feb 12th wich is the beginning of the process, and I checked 2 days ago on the website ..Desicion was made.. whitin 4 weeks I will get a letter on the mail about this.

Reactions: arkaysy

qureishi

Dec 9, 2011
I am little confused that why people are not getting passports even after staying in Canada for 10 years !! Is it so tough to get Canadian passport ??

Thank you for the quick reply!
I do believe she has been here for almost 10 years and the only time she's been out of the country are when she's travelling for a vacation which are a week to a month, max. So I think that covers the residency obligation.

Again, thank you for taking the time to help out!

arkaysy

May 1, 2018
Let us know on May about your friend, if she would able to cross please, I think is gonna be ok, One time I forgot my PR card and the officer let me to cross without any problem. I'm out of Canada,
I'm going to cross at the end of May by car because I am waiting for my PR renewal. I did send application on Feb 7th, I got an email on April 25th from CIC and they received the documents on Feb 12th wich is the beginning of the process, and I checked 2 days ago on the website ..Desicion was made.. whitin 4 weeks I will get a letter on the mail about this.
I talked to her and showed her this, hoping it'd convince her to go for sure but it didnt work. She's still unsure whether she should go or not. If we do push through, I will definitely get back to you.

arkaysy

May 1, 2018
I am little confused that why people are not getting passports even after staying in Canada for 10 years !! Is it so tough to get Canadian passport ??
Same, but it's their life so I can't really tell you the reason why. I am assuming it's because we've had so many changes to the citizenship processing and now it's worth around $650 to apply so I guess there's that.

Preina

Feb 16, 2018
As I wrote here I got an email with Decision made for my renewal, they mention if it is approved I have to pick up my PR in an office close to where I leave. So I have to come to Canada, I did travel from Syracuse NY, I went through the border very easy, I showed my passport and PR, the officer asked me if I had noticed that my PR was expired I said yes I'm waiting for my renewal, he asked me how long did I stay out of Canada, I was for 3 months in different countries, he said welcome back.

marvel62

Oct 17, 2018
You can come back definitely but without PR card you cannot take a direct flight into Canada. You will need a PRTD for that or else fly into any Canada bordering city in U S and then ask some friends to drive you to Canada or take a rental car from wherever you land in US.
Unfortunately that doesn't work, I was refused boarding in Italy when coming back from a business trip. They said that they needed proof that I was leaving the US within 90 days, I told them that I was driving back to Canada on the same day but they didn't accept it because of my expired PR card. It was painful because I missed the flight and the only option I could find (suggested by the airline employees) was to book a flight out of the US, I did that and it did work when boarding a later flight (different airline). I was very surprised because I've gone to and back a few times between Canada and US (flight on the way out, car on the way in) with my expired PR card (I'm renewing it) without any troubles.

kingskid

Feb 20, 2014
Does anyone have idea, the implication if one is not able to provide photos for PR card after the 30days request expiration. Say photo was submitted after 7months of request.