+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leaving Canada while waiting for PGWP

Essie

Oct 4, 2016
Hello everyone!

I'm graduating from my diploma program in April and I'm planning to apply for post-graduation work permit as soon as I receive my transcript and diploma. My students visa is valid until August and I know you're allowed to work while your waiting for a decision regarding your PGWP. I thought this was a perfect opportunity to finally go home for a month or so (first time in 2 years) and I would travel back to Canada at the end of May/beginning of June. I don't expect to receive my PGWP by then so I wonder if I could encounter any issues at the border. My student visa would still be valid but I wouldn't be student anymore since I'd have already graduated.

I appreciate any advice!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello everyone!

I'm graduating from my diploma program in April and I'm planning to apply for post-graduation work permit as soon as I receive my transcript and diploma. My students visa is valid until August and I know you're allowed to work while your waiting for a decision regarding your PGWP. I thought this was a perfect opportunity to finally go home for a month or so (first time in 2 years) and I would travel back to Canada at the end of May/beginning of June. I don't expect to receive my PGWP by then so I wonder if I could encounter any issues at the border. My student visa would still be valid but I wouldn't be student anymore since I'd have already graduated.

I appreciate any advice!
Hi

You're fine to leave and re-enter.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
If you applied for a different kind of permit

• You cannot do any of the activities allowed by the original work permit. For example, you may have come to Canada as a worker and then applied for a study permit. If so, you must stop working once your work permit expires. After that, you cannot work or study until you get a new permit.

How is the student status justified with above?
What you are quoting applies to people on Implied Status, which OP is not.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
You go on implied status once you apply for a change in status/condition of your existing permit. PGWP is the only exception were you are allowed to work, in other situations you have to cease doing activities outlined in the initial study/work permit and hence puts you on implied status. You are correct that implied status kicks in when your status official expires but also when you apply for change in status as once a student graduates, they are no longer a student.
On a side note, you seem to be a very opinionated person. Let me tell you one thing, when it comes to reality, all the manuals and bulletins are used but decisions are made by humans and thankfully they aren't humans like you. Lol.
This conversation is over.
Still wrong. You go on Implied Status when the previous status expires while waiting for an extension. A worker who applies to change their status to visitor remains a worker with the right to work until their work permit expires. After expiry, they have Implied Status until the visitor status is approved, at which point they have status as a visitor.

The study permit is still valid and the PGWP is in process. There is no Implied Status.

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
Still wrong. You go on Implied Status when the previous status expires while waiting for an extension. A worker who applies to change their status to visitor remains a worker with the right to work until their work permit expires. After expiry, they have Implied Status until the visitor status is approved, at which point they have status as a visitor.

The study permit is still valid and the PGWP is in process. There is no Implied Status.
@andy.keeling, @canuck_in_uk is correct. You can leave while processing your PGWP. If your study permit is valid (90 days from graduation) then you can enter as a student. If they approve your PGWP when you are away from Canada then you can enter as a worker. If they have not got the PGWP approved by the time you have returned to Canada, then they must enter as a visitor and cannot work till they approve the PGWP.

Implied status is only when your previous status expires and the application is still in processing. By having to re-enter as a visitor you lose your implied status as a student and cannot work while your PGWP is being processed since the status changed from Student to Visitor.

Source:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1309&top=15

@andy.keeling , On a side note there is nothing wrong when someone is a very opinionated person. CIC/IRCC enforce the rules based on the rule book and precedent and certainly not based solely on human emotions. This really seems immature from your part and completely distracts from your arguments. There's really no need to berate people over a few words on an online forum.

sararosie

Oct 19, 2019
@andy.keeling, @canuck_in_uk is correct. You can leave while processing your PGWP. If your study permit is valid (90 days from graduation) then you can enter as a student. If they approve your PGWP when you are away from Canada then you can enter as a worker. If they have not got the PGWP approved by the time you have returned to Canada, then they must enter as a visitor and cannot work till they approve the PGWP.

Implied status is only when your previous status expires and the application is still in processing. By having to re-enter as a visitor you lose your implied status as a student and cannot work while your PGWP is being processed since the status changed from Student to Visitor.

Source:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1309&top=15

@andy.keeling , On a side note there is nothing wrong when someone is a very opinionated person. CIC/IRCC enforce the rules based on the rule book and precedent and certainly not based solely on human emotions. This really seems immature from your part and completely distracts from your arguments. There's really no need to berate people over a few words on an online forum.
According to this link, one can work on a visitor visa upon re-entry if the PGWP is still being processed: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1309&top=15

Any thoughts?

sararosie

Oct 19, 2019
Last two points seem to have been added recently, so I guess you can do so now. It would make sense with them extending the PGWP application time to 180 days.
Thank you for your reply. So, in that case, it wouldn't be a bad idea to do a 1 year master's now, would it? I'm confused!

Ris411

Star Member
Jul 12, 2018
I have already applied for the study permit extension before expiry of my study permit.Its been 2 months my extension is still in process.I already have graduation certificate and transcripts from college.I am wondering that Can I leave Canada after applying my pgwp online.If I reenter Canada Can I have some problems in that case.Please help me

G.J

Feb 18, 2020
@selvakk , @canuck_in_uk , @sararosie
If the study permit/ visa remains valid while we apply for PGWP and plan to leave canada for a month. Do we need to apply for visitor visa in order to return back to canada ? or the validity of study permit/visa is good to enter.

Any advice would be appreciated.

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1309&top=15
* Term depicts:
-You may enter as a student if your study permit is still valid.
-If we’re still processing your post-graduation work permit, you may enter as a visitor.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
@selvakk , @canuck_in_uk , @sararosie
If the study permit/ visa remains valid while we apply for PGWP and plan to leave canada for a month. Do we need to apply for visitor visa in order to return back to canada ? or the validity of study permit/visa is good to enter.

Any advice would be appreciated.

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1309&top=15
* Term depicts:
-You may enter as a student if your study permit is still valid.
-If we’re still processing your post-graduation work permit, you may enter as a visitor.
If you have a valid TRV, you can fly back to Canada.

spinyberry25

Jan 19, 2024
@selvakk @canuck_in_uk

Am I allowed to apply for BC PNP while waiting for the approval of my PGWP? On the "Status" question, should I select Student or Worker? My student permit and visa are still valid until 2025. I just graduated last December 19, 2023.

I would also like to know, what is my current status in Canada. Getting confused with "Implied" status. I recently went to the US and am already back in Canada. Based on IRCC, I can go out of the country while processing PGWP.

Upon returning in Vancouver, I selected "Student" in the immigration kiosk. Is this correct?