+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leaving Canada While Waiting for Permanent Residency?

jslmsca

Apr 3, 2019
Hello,

I am a Canadian citizen and have applied to sponsor my Russian wife for PR (inland). She entered the country on November 3, 2018 and has been living here since. We had a baby daughter born September 8, 2019 in Canada. After one TRV extension, my wife currently has implied status. We applied for another TRV extension on August 18, 2019 and are still waiting for an answer. The PR application was received on March 15, 2019 and the processing of the application started on September 5, 2019. The medical x-rays were delayed until after giving birth.

Can my wife leave Canada or will that jeopardize her PR application? For health reasons, she would like to visit doctors outside the country.

I'm guessing she certainly should not leave while having implied status. I read about a "Permanent Resident Travel Document" but I'm not sure that is enough for her to re-enter.

Thanks for any advice.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello,

I am a Canadian citizen and have applied to sponsor my Russian wife for PR (inland). She entered the country on November 3, 2018 and has been living here since. We had a baby daughter born September 8, 2019 in Canada. After one TRV extension, my wife currently has implied status. We applied for another TRV extension on August 18, 2019 and are still waiting for an answer. The PR application was received on March 15, 2019 and the processing of the application started on September 5, 2019. The medical x-rays were delayed until after giving birth.

Can my wife leave Canada or will that jeopardize her PR application? For health reasons, she would like to visit doctors outside the country.

I'm guessing she certainly should not leave while having implied status. I read about a "Permanent Resident Travel Document" but I'm not sure that is enough for her to re-enter.

Thanks for any advice.
Did she not include an OWP app with the inland PR app? That would have saved all of the hassle of continually extending her status. Does she not have health coverage here in Canada?

A TRV can't be extended. She extended her visitor status. Does she currently have a valid TRV?

The issue with leaving is that there is never a guarantee she will be allowed to re-enter. It is a bigger issue if her TRV has expired, as she would need to apply from Russia for a new one and there is a good chance of refusal.

A PRTD is for PRs, not PR applicants.

jslmsca

Apr 3, 2019
Did she not include an OWP app with the inland PR app? That would have saved all of the hassle of continually extending her status. Does she not have health coverage here in Canada?

A TRV can't be extended. She extended her visitor status. Does she currently have a valid TRV?

The issue with leaving is that there is never a guarantee she will be allowed to re-enter. It is a bigger issue if her TRV has expired, as she would need to apply from Russia for a new one and there is a good chance of refusal.

A PRTD is for PRs, not PR applicants.
No we didn’t apply for an OWP. In retrospect, I guess we should have but she wasn’t going to work for a couple years with the new baby so we didn’t.

She has a TRV. I guess I misspoke and we applied for a visitor extension. She has health coverage until Jan 10.

So if she has an extension but not PR, it’s still not a good idea to leave, correct?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
No we didn’t apply for an OWP. In retrospect, I guess we should have but she wasn’t going to work for a couple years with the new baby so we didn’t.

She has a TRV. I guess I misspoke and we applied for a visitor extension. She has health coverage until Jan 10.

So if she has an extension but not PR, it’s still not a good idea to leave, correct?
She is never guaranteed re-entry. If she is refused, the inland app is abandoned.