+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leaving Canada to become a Digital Nomad

esqart

Star Member
Jul 19, 2018
Goal: Leave Canada and become a Digital Nomad. Live in 12 different countries for 1 month each.

If you lived in another country before living in Canada and you leave Canada to resettle in that country, you usually become a non-resident of Canada on the date you leave Canada. This applies even if your spouse or common-law partner temporarily stays in Canada to dispose of your home.
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/international-non-residents/individuals-leaving-entering-canada-non-residents/leaving-canada-emigrants.html#mgrnt

Significant residential ties to Canada include
Secondary residential ties that may be relevant include:
  • personal property in Canada, such as a car or furniture
  • social ties in Canada, such as memberships in Canadian recreational or religious organizations
  • economic ties in Canada, such as Canadian bank accounts or credit cards
  • a Canadian driver's licence
  • a Canadian passport
  • health insurance with a Canadian province or territory
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/international-non-residents/information-been-moved/determining-your-residency-status.html

----
I want to keep my Canadian passport, driver's license, bank account and credit card. Everything else I want to cut all my ties with.
* Passport & License, are valid globally not just in Canada and I intent to use them.
* Bank & Credit Card, will be used to receive my tax returns. Also all my current online subscriptions like Youtube is connected to my cards and I can't really close it until I have completely re established a new financial system. But unless CRA minds, I am of hoping to keep these forever.

I have 2 options here:
1. Establish a tax residency in a digital nomad tax friendly country
2. Establish tax residency again in my previous country. And then move to another country from there.

I think my case seems reasonable where I can directly jump into No1. However I don't know how picky CRA is about this stuff.

Questions:
1. Do you guys know any threads or stories from people who are experienced about this topic?
2. Should I go for option 1 or 2?

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Goal: Leave Canada and become a Digital Nomad. Live in 12 different countries for 1 month each.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/international-non-residents/individuals-leaving-entering-canada-non-residents/leaving-canada-emigrants.html#mgrnt

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/international-non-residents/information-been-moved/determining-your-residency-status.html

----
I want to keep my Canadian passport, driver's license, bank account and credit card. Everything else I want to cut all my ties with.
* Passport & License, are valid globally not just in Canada and I intent to use them.
* Bank & Credit Card, will be used to receive my tax returns. Also all my current online subscriptions like Youtube is connected to my cards and I can't really close it until I have completely re established a new financial system. But unless CRA minds, I am of hoping to keep these forever.

I have 2 options here:
2. Establish tax residency again in my previous country. And then move to another country from there.

I think my case seems reasonable where I can directly jump into No1. However I don't know how picky CRA is about this stuff.

Questions:
1. Do you guys know any threads or stories from people who are experienced about this topic?
It seems you didn't read the link you posted very much. It says, establishing a permanent residence in another country, which you don't plan on doing as you are staying in any given country for about a month. Severing residential ties with Canada, which you don't plan on doing if keeping drivers licence, credit cards etc.

So having said all that, what is you're question, are you trying to avoid paying taxes in Canada? From the plan you say, you aren't severing your ties to Canada. You will still have to pay taxes to Canada on any worldwide income. You never have to give up your PP but the rest you do to become a non-resident for tax purposes. Where is your paycheck being deposited?

Unless you sever your ties and file the appropriate paperwork with CRA to become a non resident for tax purposes and establish a permanent residence in your previous or another country you still have to pay taxes here.

Last edited:

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth

----

I have 2 options here:

Questions:
What in gods name are you trying to do ?
Doesn’t make sense

esqart

Star Member
Jul 19, 2018
No person can 100% cut ties with the country they are a citizen of. I still have strong ties with my original country, even though I've lived in Canada for the last half decade.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
No person can 100% cut ties with the country they are a citizen of. I still have strong ties with my original country, even though I've lived in Canada for the last half decade.
Yes. you can. I have no tie to my home counrty. "half decade" is only 5 years.

Reactions: foodie69

prash42

Jun 1, 2014
Hard to say if option 2 will work without knowing if your home country makes it easy. If you're committed to the idea, get professional advice - some like Nomad Capitalist have a lot of free resources to get you started.

----

I have 2 options here:

Questions:

hamgha

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2017
App. Filed.......
07-07-2017
Nomination.....
12-04-2017
IELTS Request
21-01-2017
Med's Done....
25-04-2017

----

I have 2 options here:

Questions:
I personally know a lot of people in this situation. You still need to be a tax resident somewhere. The problem is how will you become a tax resident of those other countries as for most places you need to live there for 180 days

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It seems you didn't read the link you posted very much. It says, establishing a permanent residence in another country, which you don't plan on doing as you are staying in any given country for about a month. Severing residential ties with Canada, which you don't plan on doing if keeping drivers licence, credit cards etc.

So having said all that, what is you're question, are you trying to avoid paying taxes in Canada? From the plan you say, you aren't severing your ties to Canada. You will still have to pay taxes to Canada on any worldwide income. You never have to give up your PP but the rest you do to become a non-resident for tax purposes. Where is your paycheck being deposited?

Unless you sever your ties and file the appropriate paperwork with CRA to become a non resident for tax purposes and establish a permanent residence in your previous or another country you still have to pay taxes here.
If not a tax resident don’t have to pay taxes on your worldwide income like US citizens

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

----

I have 2 options here:

Questions:
You are required to notify CRA when you leave Canada. It will also make your life easier to do so because you risk having to repay any benefit you incorrectly receive with penalties. You can ask CRA to determine your tax residency status for you. They are the only ones who can guarantee your tax residency status. You also have to notify your provincial health agency that you are leaving Canada. You have to research what is required for residency status in your previous home country.