+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leaving Canada Temporarily while spouse's PR (outland) is in progress Sponser being PR and sponsorship eligibility is Approved

yourfather

Jan 31, 2018
But it isn’t. If you do get caught, which actually does happen, you will be denied if you are abroad for a significant amount of time. Just because some people get away with it doesn’t mean that you will. Examples of other people getting denied on this very thread.
Hahahaha, You have discouraged me with every effort I made with IRCC. Starting with my PR, Spouse PR and Parents PR. I applied for Outland-PR and stayed in Canada for months, applied for outland spouse PR and stayed outside Canada for several months. Finally I applied for PGP in 2020, which was just one year after my landing, I was not eligible back then. I got my PGP ITA in 2023 and I applied for that as well.

I am highly illegal according to you.. So good luck.. lol

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hahahaha, You have discouraged me with every effort I made with IRCC. Starting with my PR, Spouse PR and Parents PR. I applied for Outland-PR and stayed in Canada for months, applied for outland spouse PR and stayed outside Canada for several months. Finally I applied for PGP in 2020, which was just one year after my landing, I was not eligible back then. I got my PGP ITA in 2023 and I applied for that as well.

I am highly illegal according to you.. So good luck.. lol
Not everyone that's speeding get a ticket. so good luck.

lenuxii

Star Member
Jan 24, 2023
Myth busted. Mods must update their knowledge that "IT IS OK TO TRAVEL TO HOME COUNTRY DURING SPOUSAL SPONSORSHIP"
Keep in mind if sponsor is PR they can't leave the country while sponsorship is in process they'll have to be in Canada. However, if sponsor is citizen they're able to travel outside of Canada if they please.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Keep in mind if sponsor is PR they can't leave the country while sponsorship is in process they'll have to be in Canada. However, if sponsor is citizen they're able to travel outside of Canada if they please.
I think he knows but he is saying that he breaks all the rules and still got the applications approved. (or will get it approved)

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Let's keep this straight: the PR-sponsor must be in Canada to apply to sponsor, and remain in Canada, it's true, BUT can travel outside for short trips. "Short trips" is nowhere defined, but haven't heard of a case where an absence of less than a month is a problem.

They certainly can leave the country. The only question is whether the length of their absence will be treated as not meeting the terms of sponsorship for a PR.

It is also clear that IRCC does not fully, 100% enforce this, and so - akin to speeding - you may or may not get caught.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Well, this is autobahn, no such speed limits exists or documented anywhere.. as imagined by a few mods here
There are documented cases including in this thread of applicants having their files refused because sponsor not in Canada, and also cases of files delayed for long periods and sponsor asked to document presence in Canada. Take that as you will, but not imagined.

yourfather

Jan 31, 2018
There are documented cases including in this thread of applicants having their files refused because sponsor not in Canada, and also cases of files delayed for long periods and sponsor asked to document presence in Canada. Take that as you will, but not imagined.
Not just saying this for the sake of argument. But every documented case in the recent 2-3 years suggest that there no issues with living abroad during spousal sponsorship and most ppl including me have raised webforms to notify IRCC about the travel. I checked canlii to make sure I know the facts, there is only one documented case in canlii about 7-8yrs ago where spousal sponsorship was refused when the sponsor travelled abroad during sponsorship. That case was super specific, the sponsor went abroad joined a new job and purchased a car abroad. These details were attached to the case too, I was shocked to see how much of evidence IRCC was able to gather from a different nation, in order to ensure their decision cannot be challenged again

An immigration attorney from Cohen law, the ppl who run this forum has suggested that "As long as sponsor doesn't cut ties to Canada and continues to be hold their primary residence in Canada, there wont be any problems"

So requesting you to change your views on this matter and continue with your great work of helping out everyone

Reactions: Cold_dubai

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
But every documented case in the recent 2-3 years suggest that there no issues with living abroad during spousal sponsorship and most ppl including me have raised webforms to notify IRCC about the travel.
So requesting you to change your views on this matter and continue with your great work of helping out everyone
We have examples in this very thread. Documented.

So no, you've not convinced me.

yourfather

Jan 31, 2018
We have examples in this very thread. Documented.

So no, you've not convinced me.
There is only one user @Mum84 who has reported that their spousal sponsorship was denied due to travel. A little surprise for you, read the below thread from the same user. Its obvious that this user is living abroad and doesn't want to disclose it to the forum.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/march-2021-citizenship-applications.723492/page-172#post-9930059

You folks have to stop threatening and bullying innocent users here. Earlier in this forum a mod named @armoured quoted 2-3 weeks of travel is fine. Now he has gracefully extended it to 1 month. I have 8 users both on PM and this very forum who have travelled for over 3 months and got approved within the past 2-3 yrs. One user has even stayed abroad for the entirety of his application and got approved.

richi93

Star Member
Mar 28, 2018
chandigarh
NOC Code......
We have even seen people had their COPR cancelled after it was discovered they weren't in Canada. Canada doesn't catch everyone but there is a huge risk if you don't follow the rules.
Can you share any case whose COPR has been cancelled , if they land in Canada along with sponsor (sponsor stayed outside for 6 months while her wife application was in progress, then got approved)????

Kiva667

May 9, 2019
[/QUOTE

I' not sure if my experience in sponsoring my wife is relevant to this thread but I hadn't lived in Canada for 40 years when I began her application and freely admitted the fact to IRCC. In fact I continued to live abroad with her until PR was approved. I suspect IRCC didn't like what I was doing but my lifestyle was perfectly legal in their eyes, finally.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Can you share any case whose COPR has been cancelled , if they land in Canada along with sponsor (sponsor stayed outside for 6 months while her wife application was in progress, then got approved)????
You can search the forum for some examples. There are examples. The search function isn’t great on the forum so not going to spend my time trying to find the posts. It is pretty clear in the application instructions that a PR must be living in Canada to sponsor a spouse. Landing in Canada together has nothing to do with COPR being cancelled. Most are denied before getting COPR although I have seen a case where a COPR was cancelled after being issues after it was discovered that a spouse had been abroad. Why risk the application being refused? Also not follow the application instructions could lead to scrutiny of any future applications.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I' not sure if my experience in sponsoring my wife is relevant to this thread but I hadn't lived in Canada for 40 years when I began her application and freely admitted the fact to IRCC. In fact I continued to live abroad with her until PR was approved. I suspect IRCC didn't like what I was doing but my lifestyle was perfectly legal in their eyes, finally.
If you're a citizen, no, not relevant to what is being discussed here. Canadian citizens can sponsor while residing abroad, technically even if they had never set foot in Canada.

richi93

Star Member
Mar 28, 2018
chandigarh
NOC Code......
This is incorrect information. If VO had realized you were out of Canada for 6 months you would be denied. You got lucky you weren’t caught but there are others who have spent a lot less time outside Canada during sponsorship who have been denied. You are required to remain in Canada during sponsorship as a PR. A short trip outside Canada for less than a month seem to be overlooked but 6 months will not be overlooked if VO realizes that you were out of the country. We have even seen COPRs being cancelled when a couple got approved for sponsorship and then applied for a TRV for their child. It became evident that the sponsoring spouse had spent time outside Canada and so the approved sponsorship was then changed to refused.
Can you specify exact such case where COPR has been cancelled? where I can find details of such case