+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leaving Canada right after test and interview

Niette

Apr 2, 2015
Can one who till now was well established i and never traveled outside Canada since landing , leave the country for good after successfully passing test and interview without too much risking his chances to get a citizenship?
He is planning to come back to take an oath once he gets an invitation.
Thank you.

shakeyy

Dec 29, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
well you are not eligible from the beginning because of "intent to reside"

tmota

Star Member
Nov 24, 2016
Montreal - Quebec
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If the person won't reside in Canada anymore, why become a citizen? Just to get a new passport?

Honestly, these are the kind of people that encourages changes that delay other people's citizenship. Tell this person that there are grounds for revoking citizenship if she or he ever become a citizen:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/cit/acquisition/revocation.asp
Canadian law allows for revocation in certain circumstances. Subsections 10(1) and 10.1(1) of the Citizenship Act provide that a person’s citizenship or renunciation of citizenship may be revoked if the person obtains, retains, renounces, or resumes citizenship by

false representation;
fraud; or
knowingly concealing material circumstances.
If the person marks the intent to reside clause on the application form, knowing beforehand she or he won't reside in Canada, that's false representation.

Take it seriously. Citizenship isn't just a new document you add to your portfolio. The more people who do this kind of thing, the harder it will be for those who truthfully want to become a citizen.

I'm not saying you can't leave Canada once you become a citizen. Life happens.

Niette

Apr 2, 2015
There are crucial circumstances for this person to leave as soon as possible , but his house is here and his children are Canadian . He has lived and worked here , payed all taxes more than 4 years , so why he can not get his citizenship ? Leaving Canada for a while does not mean there is no intent to reside in Canada in future!
Please don't judge , no one wishes to himself this person's fate...
Just reply if you have any info regarding the question. Are there any verification from CIC side re travel info between the test/interview date and oath date?

Thank you

tmota

Star Member
Nov 24, 2016
Montreal - Quebec
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Whatever the circumstances, what the person is doing regarding citizenship is wrong.

I'm sorry for whatever is happening that will require the person to leave, but there's no excuse to play the system like this. If the person will be back to reside in Canada after, apply then, not now. From what you are saying, and I quote
leave the country for good
, that's not the case, there's no intent to reside here even in the future.

Again, I'm sorry the person has to leave. Life happens. That's no excuse to play the system. Come back, live here, rebuild your life here, then become a citizen. Do things the right way.

If this person were my friend, that's exactly what I would say. Do things the right way. Better than to risk having your citizenship revoked.

dkera

Jun 21, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Niette said:
There are crucial circumstances for this person to leave as soon as possible , but his house is here and his children are Canadian . He has lived and worked here , payed all taxes more than 4 years , so why he can not get his citizenship ? Leaving Canada for a while does not mean there is no intent to reside in Canada in future!
Just reply if you have any info regarding the question. Are there any verification from CIC side re travel info between the test/interview date and oath date?

Thank you
This is citizenship fraud (based on the current law). I wish CIC finds out and never grants citizenship. You can't have it both ways. By becoming a citizen you take an obligation to uphold the laws of a country. This is fraud. There is clear intent to not follow the law. I hope they get caught. People like that are the cause of laws like C-24 that made citizenship harder for law-abiding PRs.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Niette said:

Thank you
You are providing contradictory information. You say you intend to leave Canada for good and then you say you still have residential ties to Canada and might have an intent to reside in the future. Which one is it?

deerestlovelybear

Jan 20, 2015
Niette said:
Can one who till now was well established i and never traveled outside Canada since landing , leave the country for good after successfully passing test and interview without too much risking his chances to get a citizenship?
Thank you.
One must question why there are so many such cases of people just living enough number of years of residency and leave immediately once get the passport. Most of these people come from third world countries who only came to Canada to get the Canadian passport and leave, they have no intention nor love to the country that accept them in. This is horrible and Canada is not a hotel for anyone to do this.

canadasucks

Star Member
Jun 17, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
First of all, he is a free citizen, not a slave, it's his right to live wherever he likes. There is nothing wrong and he is perfectly acting within the laws. I wish more people walk away and vote by feet to boycott the failing immigration system of this country.

Also granting citizenship is based on the criteria from the past not future. Losing citizenship for not physically living in the country is not part of laws yet. If the government think this is wrong, they should change the laws like Ireland or Netherland.

There is no such thing as playing the system, if someone thinks this way, then the government is a much bigger player by abusing power to bully people. It's actually the system itself is failing.

Again, the law says "intend" not "physically". It's the same when the government said "intend" to do a lot of things in order to win election but actually not "physically" able to deliver promises. If failing to deliver intended promises is not crime or fraud for them, then why for us?

arambi

Aug 16, 2014
Niette said:
Thank you.
In theory, there is some risk. In practice I'm yet to see rejection in case like this one.

your intentions should be staying in Canada while your application is being approved. But after that , no one will ask or say anything. Once you are a Canadian citizen you can come and go as you please.

The intent clause states that you must have the intent to reside in Canada for the forseeable future and that intent must be continuous from application to oath. Since you do not have that intent, under the letter of the law, you do not meet the requirements for Canadian citizenship. Now practically, although your intent can be inferred from your actions, behaviors, statements, etc... Such intent can always change--so you may want to ask yourselves; does it worth taking such risk?

In my case, at a time when Intent to reside was not part of the law, I left after applying and came back for test and oath. CO saw foreign work visa and stamp on my passport and asked why I left after applying. My response which is true was that the company that brought me to canada now transferred me to another country and that I'm still intending to be back in canada some time in the future after my current job assignment. Application was approved after some minor delay.
Now I wonder what could have happened if INTENT TO RESIDE was part of the law at that time

Bottom line, weigh the risks and rewards and make the call

Sa3Sa3

Apr 11, 2012
Saskatoon
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
2012-07-27
Niette said:
Thank you.
The law is not clear 100%
A good lawyer can get him out of any troubles if it happens

it is always better to stay until he gets his passport

He shouldn't feel bad at all by leaving Canada. He has all the rights to choose where to live

Niette

Apr 2, 2015
Thank you all who commented.
Does anybody possess an info re below?

Niette said:
Are there any verification from CIC side re travel info between the test/interview date and oath date?

Thank you

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
ipfreely said:
Isn't it a responsibility of any of you canadians to provide for your family and not be a burden in your faltering system?
"This country cannot afford me to send my kids to an Ivy League University so I'm forced to go abroad and stay there indefinitely. If ever canada can avail me a job that pays 6 figures(or whatever amount) with less tax, by all hell I'll goddman stay".

Tell that to whoever smart alick that will question your intention to reside.

I dunno if they will question you ever with your intentions.
I am just curious about those high and mighty people criticizing Canadian of convenience - how much tax do you pay each year? And where do you get the conclusion that they will only come back to use Canada's resources after they leave? If they find better jobs somewhere else why would they give up on their jobs and other things they established, just to come back to Canada and wait for 3-6 months so can get free healthcare again? If they got any serious illness that waiting time might as well kill them already And if you are worried about the taking any pension/old age welfare money, well they won't be eligible if they haven't pay into he sustem for enough years ... funny how some people are bashing cons/Harper here everyday , but when it comes to this topic , they sound just exactly like Harper