+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leaving Canada for a week and re-entering

mrsTF

Apr 7, 2021
Hi,
Just wondering the following..
My partner came in Canada to visit in June 2022, with an eTA, for approx 4-5 months. At the airport noone asked anything, he doesn't have a stamp on the passport from immigration at the airport.
Now, we want to go to Cuba for a week, next week, his eTA is valid until 2026. When we come back, can he stay another (max) 6 months in Canada, or I need to apply for a visitor record/extension for him?
Thanks much!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,
My partner came in Canada to visit in June 2022, with an eTA, for approx 4-5 months. At the airport noone asked anything, he doesn't have a stamp on the passport from immigration at the airport.
Now, we want to go to Cuba for a week, next week, his eTA is valid until 2026. When we come back, can he stay another (max) 6 months in Canada, or I need to apply for a visitor record/extension for him?
Thanks much!
How long he is allowed to stay in Canada will depend on CBSA. He may be allowed in for an additional six months or it could be a shorter visit. If he is given a shorter visit and you want him to stay longer, then you can try applying for an extension.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,
Thanks much!
Every time a partner leaves Canada it is a risk. Does he have a home in his home country (Lease or ownership)? If he has essentially moved to Canada and has minimal ties to his home country yes it could be an issue. You never know what will happen.

mrsTF

Apr 7, 2021
Every time a partner leaves Canada it is a risk. Does he have a home in his home country (Lease or ownership)? If he has essentially moved to Canada and has minimal ties to his home country yes it could be an issue. You never know what will happen.
No, he doesn't, before coming here he was renting an apartment. He has on his name a car only, and when he comes back, would live in his parents house (they live in an apartment and have a house as well). He did not move here, but i guess CBSA officer will have hard time to believe him :)

Santa002

Jan 27, 2022
Hi,
Thanks much!
It will all come down to when you re enter, and the officer at the border, regardless of stamp or not ( I've never had one) all movements are logged to the exact hour. Canada and other countries do not specify exact rules for re entry, I would guess it's a case by case basis and whether the individual is seen to be abusing the system.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
No, he doesn't, before coming here he was renting an apartment. He has on his name a car only, and when he comes back, would live in his parents house (they live in an apartment and have a house as well). He did not move here, but i guess CBSA officer will have hard time to believe him :)
The questions partners usually get are about their ties to their home country for proof that they are only visiting Canada and have not moved here. The fact that he isn’t employed in his home country (unless something has changed), doesn’t have a home in his home country, etc. means he has essentially moved to Canada. It also sounds like he doesn’t have much savings and you are supporting him financially. The fact that he is from a visa exempt country will likely help his case although it is considered beneficial to live in Canada versus Romania. Have you lived together for over a year continuously?

mrsTF

Apr 7, 2021
The questions partners usually get are about their ties to their home country for proof that they are only visiting Canada and have not moved here. The fact that he isn’t employed in his home country (unless something has changed), doesn’t have a home in his home country, etc. means he has essentially moved to Canada. It also sounds like he doesn’t have much savings and you are supporting him financially. The fact that he is from a visa exempt country will likely help his case although it is considered beneficial to live in Canada versus Romania. Have you lived together for over a year continuously?
Yes, i am supporting him financially, and indeed is beneficial to live in Canada vs Romania at this particular moment. Funny thing is that he wants to go back in November (winters in Toronto are not a joke :), back home are much milder, temperature doesn't go under 0 degrees), but i am the one who thinks it would be better for him to stay here over the winter (i rent an apartment and everything is included, vs skyrocketing energy/food prices in UE at this moment, our hometown is 900 km away of Zaporozhye nuclear plant, and this type of thoughts one might have).
Yes, we have been living under the same roof since march 2020 (a year and a half in Romania, since June here). I just have photos to prove our relationship, not sure that is enough. He didn't try to find a job here in Canada, we were ok financially, the only thing he did is visit, we have been camping all this summer.

Last edited:

mrsTF

Apr 7, 2021
I hope this will ease the whole thing.
We bought tickets for back home, on December 2nd, and got another health insurance from Oct 7 to Dec 3rd (the one he came with will be good until October 7, this was the estimate of visit length). He landed in Toronto on June 13, so this is within the 6 months eTA's validity.
I hope there won't be questions or if they are, minimal