+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leaving Canada for 2 years after applying for citizenship

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
Dear All,

I can potentially get my dream job in the US and the contract is for 2 years. It is in Washington DC. I applied for the Canadian citizenship in June.

I will let the CIC know that I will be away for 2 years and I will have a mailing address here and file my taxes.

If it works out I will leave in January. Will it still be possible to get the citizenship?

I applied with more than 1095 days and worked here full-time in a reputable large company since I came and my son was born here. I have all my records ready just in case for RQ including boarding passes, OHIP, CBP/CBSA records, T4s, Notices of Assessment, French language course records etc.
I can come on a short notice to Toronto from Washington for test and for oath.

Do you think it is worth to try the job or just pass it up until I get the citizenship?

Thank you all!

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
I intend to come back to Canada after 2 years if it works out since I like social life in Canada and good schools for my child and better family life in Canada than in the US. The purpose of going to US is to build up some savings since the pay is more than 2 more than I make here after tax.

farrous13

Oct 1, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dejaavu, I think you should go. It's not wrong. Don't stop your life because of an application. Enjoy every minute of your life and DC is an amazing family place.

Are you going on a H1B visa?

Dejaavu said:
I intend to come back to Canada after 2 years if it works out since I like social life in Canada and good schools for my child and better family life in Canada than in the US. The purpose of going to US is to build up some savings since the pay is more than 2 more than I make here after tax.

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
I can also get a US green card thru my wife since she is a US citizen. I also studied in DC and live there for more than five years.

123sMike

Star Member
May 20, 2013
you can leave canada if you like, I dont think there is anything CIC can do except gicing you a RQ and delaying your application!!

pkakula

Jan 23, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
new delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
july 2009
Doc's Request.
sep 2009
AOR Received.
nov 2nd 2009
File Transfer...
sep 9th 2009
Med's Request
feb 01 2010
Med's Done....
feb 8th 2010
Passport Req..
feb 1st 2010
VISA ISSUED...
STATUS CHANGED TO DECISION MADE ON JULY 1ST
LANDED..........
july 21st 2010.
123sMike said:
you can leave canada if you like, I dont think there is anything CIC can do except gicing you a RQ and delaying your application!!

Yes high possibility that you would get RQ which will take longer time for processing .

But do what ever you think is right for your family and your families aspirations . Good luck :) .

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
Thank you all!
If I get the job, I will come to Canada and I will maintain my PR status. Good to know that the worst is I will get RQed which won't be the end of the world. I will submit all the necessary paperwork as I have prepared it already.
Please keep your fingers crossed!

crocdile

Nov 23, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dejaavu said:
Wow! How people gets such a job after all the things that I hear about US job market? If I get 2 times my salary today, I will be the most happy, most generous human being ever...

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
In my experience working/living in Canada and the US, salaries for most jobs (with the exception of service jobs and government jobs) are generally higher in the US and if one makes more than say 70 k a year than one pays less tax than in Canada thereby making the after-tax net much higher.

As for the US job market, as in many countries yes is tough to find a job due to the economic crisis. However I found it far easier to find a job in US than in Canada. No employer asked me if I have 'US experience'

farrous13

Oct 1, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Haha. That is what everyone says but it's not true. You wouldn't be the happiest most generous human being EVER...

Man just research a bit more. I have friends, my cousin and my aunt who work in the States and my wife works there from time to time (depending on her projects). It is very easy to get a job there (if you're a US citizen and have a degree). Location is important though.

Edit: I meant easy not very easy. Don't get the wrong message.

crocdile said:
Wow! How people gets such a job after all the things that I hear about US job market? If I get 2 times my salary today, I will be the most happy, most generous human being ever...

crocdile

Nov 23, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No wonder why even breathing the air coming from the US nowadays will qualify you for RQ.