+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leaving Canada during spouse sponsorship application inland

vinvar25

Jan 2, 2017
Hi,

I am a PR holder, sponsoring my spouse from Inland and waiting for his PR. We are living in Canada from last 5 months while his application is in progress. But now, my spouse's father is unwell and hospitalized. We want to go to our country for a quick visit to see his father. We will be travelling together and staying in a hotel (we can produce receipts). He has valid visitor visa till 2019 and open work permit.

Can we leave for the short trip? Will he be permitted back inside Canada on our return along with me?
Also should we inform cic, before taking the trip? If yes, then how?

Thanks

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
Hi,

I am a PR holder, sponsoring my spouse from Inland and waiting for his PR. We are living in Canada from last 5 months while his application is in progress. But now, my spouse's father is unwell and hospitalized. We want to go to our country for a quick visit to see his father. We will be travelling together and staying in a hotel (we can produce receipts). He has valid visitor visa till 2019 and open work permit.

Can we leave for the short trip? Will he be permitted back inside Canada on our return along with me?
Also should we inform cic, before taking the trip? If yes, then how?

Thanks
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/inland-v-outland.556570/

Elanigana

Nov 22, 2016
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
05-02-2018
I know about Inland Vs Outland application, but it's family emergency and the above post doesnot answer my question completely. Can I inform CIC and take permissions before leaving? If someone else can help, has anyone been to this situation?
I believe the issue would lie in that you’re a PR holder and not a citizen... and from my understanding is you HAVE to stay in Canada during the process for your spouses PR application.

vinvar25

Jan 2, 2017
I believe the issue would lie in that you’re a PR holder and not a citizen... and from my understanding is you HAVE to stay in Canada during the process for your spouses PR application.
In that case I can stay here. So, can he leave for like one week and visit his father and come back?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
I know about Inland Vs Outland application, but it's family emergency and the above post doesnot answer my question completely. Can I inform CIC and take permissions before leaving? If someone else can help, has anyone been to this situation?
With inland app you as the sponsor must be living in Canada with your spouse, but you would be allowed short/temporary vacations outside Canada. Just don't leave long enough that IRCC would think you're no longer residing here (most suggest don't leave longer than 3+ weeks).

For your partner/applicant, the reason for leaving is irrelevant. The only thing that matters is the CBSA officer encountered when attempting to re-enter Canada. It's entirely at their discretion whether to allow entry (with a valid TRV shouldn't be an issue), or to deny entry for whatever reason in which case the inland app would be cancelled. Trip should also be brief (so again no more than 3+ weeks).

No point to contact anyone before hand since the CBSA officer upon re-entry will do what they want anyways.