+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leaving Canada during Inland Spouse Sponsor Application

Mvrsingh

Apr 22, 2019
Hi,

I am stuck in a strange situation and need your urgent advice, as IRCC Helpdesk center is closed today.

I am an October 2018 Inland Sponsor Applicant, and got my Eligibility letters last week (both sponsor and PA). Its showing Decision Made as well in ECAS tool. I am hoping to receive my interview letter sometime next week. Currently, I have my open work permit (issued during application) and TRV (Visitor Visa).

Unfortunately, we received sad news about my younger sister's untimely death, and I need to be present for performing last rituals.

In the eligibility letters that I have received, it states to inform IRCC in case of "death of a family member".

My question is:
1) Can I leave Canada for attending my sister's funeral, and re-enter based on the visitor visa (TRV) ?
2) What documents do I need to re-enter except TRV/OWP ? Should I get a police clearance done while coming back ?
3) If I am able to re-enter before the interview date, will the travel impact my interview as I am not able to maintain the inland status?

I got a clear answer from IRCC few weeks back, that my wife (sponsor) can leave Canada for a few days, and the only obligation is that she should be present during the interview. So, she will be leaving soon to be with my sister's family.

TIA.

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
Hi,

I am stuck in a strange situation and need your urgent advice, as IRCC Helpdesk center is closed today.

I am an October 2018 Inland Sponsor Applicant, and got my Eligibility letters last week (both sponsor and PA). Its showing Decision Made as well in ECAS tool. I am hoping to receive my interview letter sometime next week. Currently, I have my open work permit (issued during application) and TRV (Visitor Visa).

Unfortunately, we received sad news about my younger sister's untimely death, and I need to be present for performing last rituals.

In the eligibility letters that I have received, it states to inform IRCC in case of "death of a family member".

My question is:
1) Can I leave Canada for attending my sister's funeral, and re-enter based on the visitor visa (TRV) ?
2) What documents do I need to re-enter except TRV/OWP ? Should I get a police clearance done while coming back ?
3) If I am able to re-enter before the interview date, will the travel impact my interview as I am not able to maintain the inland status?

I got a clear answer from IRCC few weeks back, that my wife (sponsor) can leave Canada for a few days, and the only obligation is that she should be present during the interview. So, she will be leaving soon to be with my sister's family.

TIA.
Short infrequent trips are generally acceptable, but if your partner is denied entrance at the border the application will be abandoned. Pending your partner meets admissibility requirements you should be fine, but unfortunately no one can predict the outcome. Risk is generally minimal (we see lots of people successfully take short trips) but important to be aware of the implications.

Reactions: Mvrsingh

zoya_99

Champion Member
Jan 30, 2015
Hi,

My question is:

TIA.
I'm so sorry to hear your loss. May Allah grant her peace.

1) yes, you can re enter
2) use owp to re enter. Police check not needed for small trips
3) Short trips shouldn't affect your application

Good luck

Mvrsingh

Apr 22, 2019
Short infrequent trips are generally acceptable, but if your partner is denied entrance at the border the application will be abandoned. Pending your partner meets admissibility requirements you should be fine, but unfortunately no one can predict the outcome. Risk is generally minimal (we see lots of people successfully take short trips) but important to be aware of the implications.
Thanks kcward7. Should I inform IRCC before leaving ?

Mvrsingh

Apr 22, 2019
I'm so sorry to hear your loss. May Allah grant her peace.

1) yes, you can re enter
2) use owp to re enter. Police check not needed for small trips
3) Short trips shouldn't affect your application

Good luck
Thanks Zoya for your condolences. Should I inform IRCC before leaving ?

Do you know if any one was allowed re-entry after a short trip? I tried to search in the forum, but could not find anything.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
To clarify your situation, "family member" here refer to immediate family member as per IRCC definition. So you need to inform IRCC if your spouse or dependent(s) passed away. Your sister is not consider as "family member" here.

Mvrsingh

Apr 22, 2019
To clarify your situation, "family member" here refer to immediate family member as per IRCC definition. So you need to inform IRCC if your spouse or dependent(s) passed away. Your sister is not consider as "family member" here.
That's a valid point. I had my doubts about it. Thanks for clarifying.

zoya_99

Champion Member
Jan 30, 2015
Thanks Zoya for your condolences. Should I inform IRCC before leaving ?

Do you know if any one was allowed re-entry after a short trip? I tried to search in the forum, but could not find anything.
My spouse was allowed re entry many a times. The only difference is he's from visa exempt nation

You don't have to inform ircc