+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leaving Canada after submitting application

raincoast87

Feb 22, 2020
I am trying to find a bit of an understanding on this topic myself.

I am moving to Europe early Feb 2021 for two years. My application is currently 'in process' on ECAS. Just curious if all I needed to do was update my home address on ECAS to my abroad address and use a mailing address of a friend or relative within Canada? Would this be enough for IRCC to keep my application going and not get in trouble with them for some reason?

Unfortunately no one knows what will happen with the tests and I am not expecting I will have this done before I move. Is it then likely that I will have to fly to Canada for the test, return back abroad and then fly in again for the oath? What is the usual time frame between the test and oath invite (pre-covid)? And I assume that after the oath has been taken I would have to stay in Canada until I receive my passport since I would have to destroy my PR card. Or can I apply for a passport abroad with just the certificate?

Sorry for the many questions but I would like to be prepared for everything. Thank you!
I have a similar situation. How do plan to deal with mandatory two week quarantines when coming back for test etc? Setting aside two weeks just to take the test seems a huge headache.

Rocky79

Star Member
Oct 1, 2020
I have a similar situation. How do plan to deal with mandatory two week quarantines when coming back for test etc? Setting aside two weeks just to take the test seems a huge headache.
Ircc have started contacting people who have been approved for urgent processing for a videoconference test but you must be in canada and this Covid is going to be around for awhile so i guess even if you have to come back you just have to be at home. Also calgary have started testing on Arrival so that you are not subject to 14 days quarantine. So read up on that . MY little contribution .

Reactions: Lomi90

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Ircc have started contacting people who have been approved for urgent processing for a videoconference test but you must be in canada and this Covid is going to be around for awhile so i guess even if you have to come back you just have to be at home. Also calgary have started testing on Arrival so that you are not subject to 14 days quarantine. So read up on that . MY little contribution .
Just to clarify testing on arrival is of course referring to Covid testing on arrival for those who qualify to reduce the quarantine requirement, an Alberta pilot program.

https://www.alberta.ca/international-border-pilot-project.aspx

raincoast87

Feb 22, 2020
Thanks. The pilot program for covid testing on arrival in Alberta still requires you to stay in Alberta for 14 days. It does not seem possible to make a short trip for the test.

BOYX

May 5, 2017
Toronto, ON
Thanks. The pilot program for covid testing on arrival in Alberta still requires you to stay in Alberta for 14 days. It does not seem possible to make a short trip for the test.
Yeah unfortunately. Smart planning on Alberta's part. They would have likely seen an uptake in cases since everyone would take a transit through Calgary lol

Rie11

Sep 9, 2020
May I ask you where you have got the information about a videoconference test? Is it on the IRCC website? Thank you!

jonIrenicus

Jul 24, 2020
Not only you need to take two weeks but also you need to consider the following. If I remember correctly, people were getting notified of their tests or oaths at most 1-2 week notice prior, which is of course less than the 14 days quarantine. Even if you can manage to travel back, I wonder if you can leave quarantine for test or oath. Sounds troublesome.

Aishas

Star Member
Aug 22, 2020
Not only you need to take two weeks but also you need to consider the following. If I remember correctly, people were getting notified of their tests or oaths at most 1-2 week notice prior, which is of course less than the 14 days quarantine. Even if you can manage to travel back, I wonder if you can leave quarantine for test or oath. Sounds troublesome.
Hi so one of my friend told me that after applying citizenship you can go back to your home country and do the test online which means we don't need to be in Canada is that true?
Please confirm thanks!

Elkam123

Jun 2, 2018
Hi so one of my friend told me that after applying citizenship you can go back to your home country and do the test online which means we don't need to be in Canada is that true?
Please confirm thanks!

Yes. I confirm this is possible. I applied and left Canada. I got an online test email about a month ago. In the email they said that I have the option to do the test online while I'm outside Canada. The email clearly stated that if I want to do the online while I'm outside Canada I can.

Fae7

Oct 18, 2016
I believe so, there was a recent thread on this issue in this sub-forum (with lots of fighting going on as well) but what you are trying to do seems perfectly fine.

In fact somebody (in Spain I think) informed the IRCC that they were living abroad when they left and still came back for the test, oath, etc. Look up that thread, it will be useful for you.
Where is this thread please ?