+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leaving Canada after submitting application for Citizenship

fitter_happier

Star Member
Aug 14, 2016
Hello,

I wanted to double check something. As far as I'm aware, you need to be present and living in Canada while you're in the process of applying for your Canadian Citizenship. Once you've gathered all the documents, done the paper work, submitted the form, paid the fees, etc. you're then able to leave Canada (not just on vacation but actually go back to your home country for example)?

I may be in this scenario at the end of the year. By then I would have accumulated enough days on the "physically present" calculator and I'll be eligible to begin applying. I want to stay and get my citizenship application sent by early 2020 but then I'm looking to re-locate to the UK for a while after I've applied. I would be coming back to Canada of course to take the citizenship test, hearing/interview, and the ceremony.

Can anyone confirm if leaving Canada after submitting the forms is going to be a problem or do I need to stay in Canada until I actually have citizenship. If so that could be a problem for me.

jonnclk22

Star Member
Oct 20, 2017
Ghana
Category........
VISIT
Visa Office......
Nairobi
AOR Received.
01-01-2013
Passport Req..
01-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
01-04-21014
hey @fitter_happier, what did you end up doing? Did you have any problems? What address did you use on your application while you were gone?