+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leaving Canada after oath on Indian passport

panda123

Mar 31, 2018
HI,

I will likely do my oath in feb/march.

Could there be issues ;

1.If I don't apply for Canada passport after oath and right away go to India on my India passport.
I read somewhere I can use my Indian passport for 3 months provided I don't have Canada passport.

2. Apply for Canada passport in India.

tankala13

Feb 22, 2012
HI,

Could there be issues ;

1.If I don't apply for Canada passport after oath and right away go to India on my India passport.
I read somewhere I can use my Indian passport for 3 months provided I don't have Canada passport.

Theoretically, this is the way to do it. But till now haven't seen any one who has confirmed or shared their experience following the process stated. If you end up doing it, please share the process.

arunmanian

Jul 30, 2012
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
LANDED..........
02-04-2014
HI,

Could there be issues ;

There are many threads that has highly recommended not use your Indian passport after obtaining Canadian citizenship. I reiterate, i spoke with Toronto Consul, Indian Embassy and has clearly told, that one cannot use Indian passport after obtaining Canadian citizenship. You can only use the Canadian passport or any other foreign passport which ever applies to you. If you choose to use Indian passport during your trip to India, you will be required to use the same Indian passport while exiting, that will render you to travel without a travel document to Canada, as your PR card was withheld during your Oath ceremony. Additionally the 3 months grace period is basically to provide lead time to surrender Indian passport. Any success stories from using the Indian passport after acquiring Canadian Citizenship is wholly undertaken by the passport holder and they bear the risk and penalties thereafter.
Please see the page: https://www.cgitoronto.gov.in/eoi.php?id=oci_application
that is highlighted in yellow.

panda123

Mar 31, 2018
There are many threads that has highly recommended not use your Indian passport after obtaining Canadian citizenship. I reiterate, i spoke with Toronto Consul, Indian Embassy and has clearly told, that one cannot use Indian passport after obtaining Canadian citizenship. You can only use the Canadian passport or any other foreign passport which ever applies to you. If you choose to use Indian passport during your trip to India, you will be required to use the same Indian passport while exiting, that will render you to travel without a travel document to Canada, as your PR card was withheld during your Oath ceremony. Additionally the 3 months grace period is basically to provide lead time to surrender Indian passport. Any success stories from using the Indian passport after acquiring Canadian Citizenship is wholly undertaken by the passport holder and they bear the risk and penalties thereafter.
Please see the page: https://www.cgitoronto.gov.in/eoi.php?id=oci_application
that is highlighted in yellow.
The major point to consider here is the " 3 month grace period" . Here is a piece from CGI toronto website;

"Even after acquiring the Canadian citizenship, the Indian passport can be used to travel for 3 months from the day of getting the Canadian citizenship. The grace period is only for such cases where foreign citizenship has been acquired but a foreign passport is not available to the person. It is also mentioned that it is illegal to travel on an Indian passport, where a person has obtained a foreign passport."

If they mention this on the page, it means it can be put into practice.